Nitrate levels low :( and other leves need opinions on :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still haven't seen how long this tank has been set up?

You've gotten good responses here. My suggestions have already been given, stating:

Get an API test kit or some type of liquid test kit. Strips tend to be incorrect most of the time and who knows, maybe there reading wrong and you don't have as big an issue as u think.

Eventually work ur way up to weekly or biweekly water changes and gravel vacs. Since you have been doing small water changes every few weeks you should work your way up, to not shock the fish, but the levels are quite high. Once u work up, If it's weekly I'd say about 30% ish water change, biweekly, 50%-60% water change. Depending on water tests.

Depending on levels, sometimes rinsing out ur filter or filter media in dechlorinated tank water does the trick every few months or so.

Plants can eat up nitrate levels but it's not always a significant value.

Using prime to lower nitrates should only be a temporary fix. Eventually it should stabilize.

Once u work your way up in cleaning ur tank, I've found, When keeping fish tanks, consistency is important. Your mostly caring for water, before fish. Healthy water, means healthy fish. =) I wish you good luck!!

Is it ever a good idea to add untreated tap water to the tank? No one seemed to dissuade this, I'm no expert but I'd never let chloramines loose in my tank, I love my BB,always condition prior to adding? No?!

Yes you use prime or other good conditioner to your water but I'm saying it should only be used temporarily as a nitrate reducer. Normally it should be added only to condition the water matched with how much water u add to the tank, not excessive amounts to reduce nitrate. Sorry for the confusion!

Also, going by what you have listed on your profile page your tank is extremely overstocked. The goldfish are also cool water fish unlike the rest and they have a very high bio load.

Also, going by what you have listed on your profile page your tank is extremely overstocked. The goldfish are also cool water fish unlike the rest and they have a very high bio load.
this is true, your Cory cats and kuhli loach need large groups. You need to fix your stock issues.

I agree with the above posts also. I thought these fish were in separate tanks at first.

Back
Top Bottom