Nitrate problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rushopkins

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am constantly fighting a high nitrate problem. I've cut back the feedings to once every other day but it still goes from 10 ppm to 100 ppm in a few weeks. The tank had been running for a year now and this has become a lingering issue. Any ideas?
I have a HOB power filter and a canister. The tank is 75G but I don't have a protein skimmer. Help

What is your livestock list, how many gallons are your water changes?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

what do you have running in the canister filter and how often do you clean it? also running a protein skimmer can help as well

I think I'd get rid of the canister and add a couple power heads. Depending on how much rock you have

What is your livestock list, how many gallons are your water changes?

Foxface, royal gramma, two blue/green chromis, coral beauty angel, maroon clown, golden sleeper goby.

20G water changes.

How often on changes? When I had my 75, with 2 HOBs I was doing 30g every 2 weeks and still had trates above 10

what do you have running in the canister filter and how often do you clean it? also running a protein skimmer can help as well

Chemipure elite, purigen, bio-chem stars, two biofoam pads in the bottom and the two pre-filter pads. Clean every few months. I think adding a protein skimmer is my next addition.

I think I'd get rid of the canister and add a couple power heads. Depending on how much rock you have

I have two maxi jet power heads. One on each side of the tank pointed at each other. With 65lbs live rock.

Unless you have 1.5-2 lbs per gallon, id keep the filtration you have and add a skimmer. Probably need to clean the canister more often, do larger mpre frequent water changes, feed less to get your nitrates in check.

Unless you have 1.5-2 lbs per gallon, id keep the filtration you have and add a skimmer. Probably need to clean the canister more often, do larger mpre frequent water changes, feed less to get your nitrates in check.

I've heard that removing the pads from the canister can help. That they hold nitrates. Thoughts?

You need mechanical filtration because you dont have enough rock. Try cleaning your canister and pads weekly with RO water, and do 10-20% water changes weekly

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom