Nitrate Problems on the East Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazychris

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone on the East Coast like New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, or Virginia been having problems getting their Nitrates in their tanks down?

I live in Houston and I can't get my Nitrates to fall even after changing the water. I've got a well and the Nitrates are high coming out of that too. Both when tested are the same color red. I went to the Fish Bowl in Camden and they've been having people come in all day complaining about their nitrates too. I bought the API bag for lowering the Nitrates. Was that a good choice since my fish really aren't having any problems with the Nitrates?

I'm in Central Jersey outside Philly and my Nitrates always read 40 out of the tap. I have been advised on this forum that plants lower the nitrates so put some in tonight. That's all I know to do.

I'm in Central Jersey outside Philly and my Nitrates always read 40 out of the tap. I have been advised on this forum that plants lower the nitrates so put some in tonight. That's all I know to do.

What color does test look (orange or red)? If you have public water, have you contacted your water municipality? They will test your water for free because legally public water sources can not have nitrate levels beyond 10ppm. If you have a well, your on your own to deal with water quality issues unfortunately.

I wish the guy at the pet store would've told me about that secret with the plants since I did ask about that being a possible solution. Thank you for the info

Chris, I hope you are not drinking this water! That's extremely high.

Jen, if your test is plain orange (not red or orangey red), your nitrates are likely not as high as you think. Are you using the master kit chart?

I don't drink it except for taking my medication and brushing my teeth. Would boiling the water lower the nitrates?

I don't drink it except for taking my medication and brushing my teeth. Would boiling the water lower the nitrates?

No, you honestly would need a hefty house purification system to make this water usable. You can consider an undersink RO unit for fishtanks or cooking. Have you ever had your well professionally tested? You may have issues beyond just nitrates in your water- its something definitely worth looking into.

No I honestly haven't had that done. We just moved in our house and haven't had the time to have that done. I think I'll be buying my parents system from them. It's made by Rainbow. It does your whole house.

I'm not personally familiar with this system. Did you purchase this house? I am surprised water quality reports were not disclosed prior to sale. I know the state I'm in this is pretty much mandatory for a house being sold that has well water- the well has to pass as part of inspection. Maybe it's different for your state?

We didn't buy it since its my in laws rental that was basically given to my wife and I so it would get taken care of since they've had nothing but renters that trashed the place. I would've never have known about this if I hadn't wanted a fish tank. Rain Soft is a full house filtration system with water softener. It does work pretty good but you gotta watch when you step in the shower cuz the salt in the water softener makes the floor slick. You don't use nearly the same amount of soap for laundry and dish washing. You'll taste some salt in the water but its not overwhelming.

I wouldn't use this softened water for fish. Maybe you can keep a tap independent or have a bypass with a small RO unit? I would also make sure this system removes nitrates. But, I would start by having the water professionally tested so you know exactly what is in it before deciding what type of system would be appropriate to make the water healthy. Good luck!

I'm going to have somebody come out Monday and test my water. The water softener has a shut off valve for the salt part. It's just a matter of how long I have to run the water before the salt is completely removed. I surely don't want 20 gallons of salt water in my freshwater tank when it's not aquarium salt.

Jen, if your test is plain orange (not red or orangey red), your nitrates are likely not as high as you think. Are you using the master kit chart?

Yep- misquoted. It's normally 10-20 ppm (orange) but the 5 plants I put in last night have already brought the Nitrate down to 5 ppm.

There is a product by seachem called perigen. Great stuff it sold In different sizes. Just add a bag in you hob or canister. Remove nit's and impurities last up to six months and then you just "recharge" it in a bleach/water solution. So your not having to buy new all the time. I buy a new one maybe once a year. Also it's safe for planted tanks. It doesn't remove any of your fertz. I highly recommend it. Have used it in my tanks for years.

Back
Top Bottom