Nitrate question please help! Life and death!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello guys I have a 55g tank and my nitrates are between 20-40ppm (using the api master test kit)

Is this way to high for my fish? I have lost 5 or my 10 serpae tetras all in the past week and a half. My ammo and nitrites are 0ppm and my pH is 7.3 and temp of water is 76 degrees.. Could my loss be because of the nitrates? Also I see the rainbow shark I have in the tank picking on the tetras sometimes. I need help please
-tank has be up for about 2 months
My stock is:
-3 angelfish
-3 albino Corydoras
-6 harlequin rasboras
- now 5 serpae tetras :(
- 1 rainbow shark
- Asian spotted placo

Could be lack of oxygen or too much co2 if you pump that into the tank. Also, how often do you do water changes? How much water do you take out for the changes? How well do you condition the water? What type of filter? Lots of variables.

Plants and water changes will reduce the nitrates, but I've had mine go up that high without killing the fish. However, if I noticed it that high I would perform a 20% water change.

40ppm is on the high end of the safe zone. Usually you don't want it to get much higher than that before you for a water change.

I'm thinking that it's something else. Do they show any signs of illness?

Hi, my tank is about 30ppm for nitrate after 9 months and seems ok. Did the tetras have any damage e.g. fins, etc?

Hey guys. They are not showing any signs of illness. They are active as eating. Well. All others in the tank are fine. I just been coming home to a fish floating. I do 30% water changes once a week. I really think it's the shark... :/ I am confused cuz no one else in the tank seems to have any problems.

Your nitrAtes aren't at a deadly level, actually far from it. Look for other reason but 40ppm is not that bad. I've had 60,80 even over 100. Look deeper.

The tank decorations are
Pool filter sand (washed very well)
Aquarium gravel from LFS
Plastic plants (for fish tanks)
2 tiny plastic rock arches (for fish tanks)
A good size piece of driftwood I bought from LFS and soaked for a week before I set up the tank.
There is nothing weird in the tank. Prams are good. Light is 12 on 12 off I am like at a loss. Maybe it could be over or under feeding
I feel them 6am and again at 6pm 2 pitches of flakes and a few dried bloodworms

The tank decorations are
Pool filter sand (washed very well)
Aquarium gravel from LFS
Plastic plants (for fish tanks)
2 tiny plastic rock arches (for fish tanks)
A good size piece of driftwood I bought from LFS and soaked for a week before I set up the tank.
There is nothing weird in the tank. Prams are good. Light is 12 on 12 off I am like at a loss. Maybe it could be over or under feeding
I feel them 6am and again at 6pm 2 pitches of flakes and a few dried bloodworms

Feed once a day. Stop the bloodworms for now. No real plants, your lights are on too long IMO. My light cycle starts at 3:30pm and off at 10:00pm

Feed once a day. Stop the bloodworms for now. No real plants, your lights are on too long IMO. My light cycle starts at 3:30pm and off at 10:00pm

Ok I only did the blood worms like the last 2 or 3 days. After the fish loss happened. And I'll start to shorten the light cycle.

Back
Top Bottom