Nitrate question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniper187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just did a test and nitrate was at 40ppm after 5 mins then after another 5 mins was at 80ppm

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Water change? How much?

At least 50% water change. When was your last wc? What's your stock? Tank size? The rest of the parameters?

smomus said:
At least 50% water change. When was your last wc? What's your stock? Tank size? The rest of the parameters?

Last week.

37 gallon
22 fish

Everything else ( ph, ammonia, nitrite) is good

Just added salt today too

Its definitely time for a water change then. While 80ppm isn't too terribly alarming it its high. Probably because you have so many fish so their ammonia is high, thus eventually high nitrates. What kind of fish do you have?

Yes. My 30 is overstocked but moving some to another tank. I keep on top of mine by doing two water changes a week. My nitrates are at 5. The normal range is 0-20

Nitrate Question

I just did a test and nitrate was at 40ppm after 5 mins then after another 5 mins was at 80ppm

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Water change? How much?

Hello Sniper...

I've always changed at least half the water in my tanks every week. I rarely test the water chemistry, because by removing and replacing at least half the water in the tank every week, there's no time for pollutants to build up in the water before it's changed again. Not many can commit to this type of water change routine, so that makes water testing important.

B

smomus said:
Its definitely time for a water change then. While 80ppm isn't too terribly alarming it its high. Probably because you have so many fish so their ammonia is high, thus eventually high nitrates. What kind of fish do you have?

Angels, tetras, cherry barbs, some other fish with red eyes, and silver sharks

I'm new to this and still learning.

Bought fish last week that had ick and it spread to all my fish.

Been treating them for the past 4 days. 4 died today.

I'm so disappointed

BBradbury said:
Hello Sniper...

I've always changed at least half the water in my tanks every week. I rarely test the water chemistry, because by removing and replacing at least half the water in the tank every week, there's no time for pollutants to build up in the water before it's changed again. Not many can commit to this type of water change routine, so that makes water testing important.

B

I've been told that I shouldn't over feed and shouldn't do water changes every week

Nitrate Question

I've been told that I shouldn't over feed and shouldn't do water changes every week

Hello again Sniper...

Good advice to not overfeed. I feed a little every other day. Fish can go up to a couple of weeks with little or no food.

I'd disagree with the water change advice, though. Large, weekly water changes are the best thing you can do to ensure a stable water chemistry. I was taught that the more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier your fish and plants will be.

If you think about it, your fish tank is no different than an unflushed toilet. If I was living in water that I was going to the bathroom in, I'd sure want new water all the time and lots of it!

Your choice, you're the "waterkeeper".

B

Definitely add some plants. Plants will naturally filter your aquarium while adding a lot of beauty. Plants gobble up ammonia and nitrates, and your fish will love you for it.

BBradbury said:
Hello again Sniper...

Good advice to not overfeed. I feed a little every other day. Fish can go up to a couple of weeks with little or no food.

I'd disagree with the water change advice, though. Large, weekly water changes are the best thing you can do to ensure a stable water chemistry. I was taught that the more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier your fish and plants will be.

If you think about it, your fish tank is no different than an unflushed toilet. If I was living in water that I was going to the bathroom in, I'd sure want new water all the time and lots of it!

Your choice, you're the "waterkeeper".

B

I did a 50% water change along with a good gravel cleanup yesterday and just ran another nitrate test today. Still have 40-80 ppm. Wtf? What should I do?

Sniper187 said:
I did a 50% water change along with a good gravel cleanup yesterday and just ran another nitrate test today. Still have 40-80 ppm. Wtf? What should I do?

Another water change. 50% should get it down to 20-40%

Back
Top Bottom