Nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a post going in the planted section that kinda has to do with this, but have some concerns about my Nitrate levels. About 3 weeks ago my nitrate readings came in at about 30ppm and now they are at 0ppm. :? . I have no idea as to what would cause this?

From what I understand, 0ppm Nitrates can cause Cyano.

Do you have plants in the tank??
Nitrates are basically plant fertilizer. If the plants are taking up all the available nutrients, algae and bacteria get left with no food source.

It is a planted tank...although I am having some problems with my roseafolia. I am also seeing alot of algae on the roseafolia which is causing me to worry!

From what I know, it takes a long while for the tank to get established to the point where the plants out compete the algae for nutrients. Having 0 nitrates says that the algae and plants are using it all up.

Personally, I would not worry about it. Any of it.
~You may need to add more nutrients in the form of fertilizer, or fish poo.
~Algae on the leaves-- :| what do the planted tank people say??

they say it could be a lack of nitrogen and reccomend to dose with Fourish nitrogen.....so I have started. I just wasn't sure if lack of nitrates in a tank were something to seriously worry about. Appreciate the help Menagerie.....again :D

Back
Top Bottom