nitrate test oddity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfunkel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I tested my parameters today before doing a water change, see my other thread http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/i-need-cycling-advice-please-130355.html
Nitrate test is now showing that I only have about 5ppm :confused: Previously I have been at least 80ppm :confused: What's going on? I did follow the directions correctly, API master kit. But I noticed that the first solution alomost instantly changed to a darker orange instead of staying bright yellow after the first mixing. Then I added the second solution after its shaking and it lightened to a light yellow-orange, and slowly to the light orange around 5ppm. I tested three times with the same result. I also tested the tap but it did as normal (or what I think is supposed to be normal). First solution bright yellow, second solution light orange of 5ppm, which is what my tap has. What is normal? When you test nitrates does the first solution stay as bright yellow or change to something other?

Well, that's what I want to make sure. Since starting the cycle I have tested nitrates about 8 times before this last test, and I do the exact same process. This is the one time that things have changed, oddly, and why I tested three more times to make sure it wasn't me and why I tested the tap as well. What color does the first solution change the water when you test nitrates?

Edit: I found some helpful info. Same issue I am having
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124671

Last edited:
That was the trick. For some reason the nitrate test, when the nitrates are way high, will not work properly at all! A big clue is that the water in the test tube will turn a weird orange-brown color when the first solution is put in and mixed instead of staying a bright yellow. After I had done my near 100% water change and tested, results were back to normal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom