Nitrate test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chloefinn2003

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. I've brought a master test kit. Here are my results two days in a row

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.25
No2 0
No3 80

I no the no3 is high. What can I do for this as I havebt got the suggested chemical and don't really want to use that.

Cheers

Hi all. I've brought a master test kit. Here are my results two days in a row Ph 7.6 Ammonia 0.25 No2 0 No3 80 I no the no3 is high. What can I do for this as I havebt got the suggested chemical and don't really want to use that. Cheers
Do a 50% water change and re-test the next day. Check that there is no build-up of gunk in your filters and pipes.
There is no chemical that will lower nitrates.

Water Test

Hi all. I've brought a master test kit. Here are my results two days in a row

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.25
No2 0
No3 80

I no the no3 is high. What can I do for this as I havebt got the suggested chemical and don't really want to use that.

Cheers

Hello chloe...

The more important reading is the ammonia. Even a trace of this form of nitrogen is enough to kill most aquarium fish. Nitrate is at the end of the nitrogen cycle, so even a higher level for a short period will at most cause your fish a little discomfort.

If you can commit to an aggressive water change routine and remove and replace half the water in the tank every week, you won't need to test the tank water very often, if at all. The wastes produced by your fish take time to dissolve in the water and build to a toxic level. By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank every week, there's no time for wastes to build up before they're removed.

I'm a religious changer of the water in my tanks and haven't tested the water chemistry in a long time. I don't have to, I know the water is always clean.

B

Hi B

Thanks for this. I'll change the water tomorrow. Would you suggest doing it daily for a while???

Cheers

C

Water Test

Hi B

Thanks for this. I'll change the water tomorrow. Would you suggest doing it daily for a while???

Cheers

C

Hello again chloe...

I don't think you need to go that much effort, though your fish would probably love to have new water everyday. Just remove and replace half of it every week. No skipping though, you're in charge of keeping the water clean.

B

Back
Top Bottom