nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
how come my nitrates NEVER drop?

i bought 8 viles and test every saturday before my pwc and they are consantly at 40ppm which is the same coming into my tank.

WTF!!!

what are your stocking levels and filtration? Have you tested your tap or well water to see if maybe that has nitrates in it?

You could be in some sort of equilibrium so to speak. Your fish are producing waste that meets the amount of waste used by your plants? And I know my tap is at 10ppm which could also be affecting it? Just some guesses

the water coming from my tap is 40ppm and the water before my change is 40 pm.

i thought the equilibrium might be a factor so i removed 5 mollys and a platy... still not going anywhere.

i'm gonna step it up w ferts and hope that helps

just to clarify, you say your tap water is at 40ppm? And I don't think there is a need to move out fish really 40ppm is still considered reasonably safe especially with hardy fish. As long as it is not going up either. And I think ferts would help balance things out and allow your plants to use more N.

i tested a bottle of spring water and the nitrates were lower than 5ppm

Unsure if you can get this in america but try find a product called Eco Bio Blocks they will remove nitrates for 12-18months. It's some kind of filter media impregnated with bacteria that consumes nitrates. Yes it does work, I know people that use it in multi tank sumped breeding systems. It's basically like Seachem Purigen but better

Back
Top Bottom