Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cancun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is a acceptable level of nitrates in a fish only tank? I have heard as low as possible. ...but not over 10 ppm...any thoughts....

What is a acceptable level of nitrates in a fish only tank? I have heard as low as possible. ...but not over 10 ppm...any thoughts....

In a fish only tank I would say 20ppm isn't a terrible level. If you're talking about your tank that contains the nem then as close to 0 as possible.

Thank you for responding! I am trying to keep my nitrates as close to 0 as possible. ...this morning I tested at it was 10 ppm.....does anyone know if there is any filter media such as API or anything that helps with nitrates? I know API makes phos-zorb....for phosphates. ....I have my reg biocube filter in the back section....and underneath it I have a API chem-zorb pouch....thank you in advance for all of your help!!! :D

Dont think there is any media that directly removes N03. There are nitrate reducing media that harbors anaerobic bacteria but takes time to be effective if it even will be, and is probably no better than bio filtration from live rock. Best ways of immediately reducing N03 is by nutrient export through water changes and protein skimming. Skimming can even be enhanced by carbon dosing (whole other topic) to bring nitrates to near zero.

Back
Top Bottom