Nitrite Increase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the last three days have had a slight Nitrite increase. Trying to figure the cause. Up till three days ago Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5.0, pH 7.80.
Five days ago I added 2 Dwarf Gourami, 4 Cory Cats and a plant pack. Three days ago the readings were Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - .50, Nitrate - 5.0. Yesterday I did a 50% water change a few days early. Not surprising the Nitrite was 0 after the change, but today it's .25. Is this just a normal adjustment to adding new stuff. I should add this is a relatively new tank. Setup 3/25/2014 after completely fishless cycle added 5 White Clouds on 4/14. After adding White Clouds Ammonia and Nitrite were 0, Nitrate 5.0 - 10.0.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Probably from adding new fish. The bacteria need to adjust to the increase in ammonia levels which can take a bit of time. Just keep an eye on the levels and keep doing water changes as needed. It should go back down within a week or two at most.

Final update
After two water changes everything back to normal
Nitrite 0, ammonia 0, Nitrate 5.0. pH 7.50

It seems it was just an adjustment to the extra fish/plant load.

Back
Top Bottom