Nitrite spike when stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I added another few fish today (at my tank capacity now). Before doing so, my nitrates were at 40ppm so I did a water change and got this down to 10ppm. There was no ammonia or nitrites.

Since I did the water change (around 20%), I planted some plants (anubius, java fern etc) and added 6 neon tetras. All of a sudden i have noticed a slight nitrite spike coming in at 0.25ppm. I don't want my new tetras or indeed existing tank mates to suffer here. Is it possible when I planted the plants that I disturbed the substrate enough to release some decaying food/biomass and this has led to it? I also planted 2 fertiliser captures in the substrate to help the plants. Not sure of that would have made a difference. Lastly, I added 5 ml of fluvial bacteria booster as it's been a while since I added any and it says to add weekly.

Would another water change sort this? It's the first time since I fishless cycled the tank that I've had a reading showing any nitrites hence why I'm unsure what to do.

Thanks.

I would leave it for a day, than check again, sometimes the tank will just sort itself out and stabilize. If not, do small water changes until. Hope i was of some help!

Back
Top Bottom