Nitrite Stall!!!! :'(((

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yyqx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I've been trying to start off my saltwater aquarium since late June this year but I've been stuck on nitrites since probably a month in (July).

I've tried to leave it for a couple of weeks until late August but the nitrites have been staying on dark purple using an API testkit :'c. Ammonia levels did go down to zero though, I've been reading around that I should keep the ammonia level slightly above zero, but I left it alone since I thought the tank would just cycle after ammonia started going down. I tested nitrites around the end of June and thought it was a good thing that ammonia was being converted to nitrite, but now it's already September and my nitrites are still showing up dark purple (very high).

I've asked for advice at a fish store and the worker gave me ammonium chloride from DrTim's Aquatics and told me to do a 50% water change and dose ammonium chloride according to the instructions (which I did) once a week for two weeks.

My first water change I tested after a day or two and ammonia was up to 2ppm and nitrites still pretty high though a slight bit less dark than usual, maybe 2ppm

The first week is over and I tested again before the second water change. Ammonia levels dropped to 0.25ppm but nitrites were back to a dense, dark purple...

So I've done the second water change now and dosed ammonium chloride accordingly.. I've yet to wait to check the second water change (will wait 1 or 2 days), but I'm really worried this is not going to work out well.. Anyone able to give some tips or help:confused:confused? :)

I've attached some images of my tests (i hope theyre in order, i set them in order of dates: 19/07, 17/08, /1/09, 07/09

Attachments

• 19jul.jpg
    19jul.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 17aug.jpg
    17aug.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 1tues9.jpg
    1tues9.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 7mon9.jpg
    7mon9.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 45
It sounds to me like it hasn't had enough of an ammonia source present to fully cycle. The Dr Tim's might do it. If not, toss a cocktail shrimp in some old panty hose and let nature do its thing. Just keep testing now that you've dosed.

Alright, I'll give that a go. Would once a week be enough?

Alright, I'll give that a go. Should I dose once a week? I dosed recently and a week later ammonia was back at 0.
Also, should I do water changes?

Don't do any water changes until the cycle is done. You want the ammonia and nitrite levels to hit 0 in 24 hours after the ammonia is dosed up to 2 ppm.

So, dose your tank up to 2 ppm.

Another thing to check is that the test is good. Test some fresh saltwater before doing a water change and see how the nitrites test. Should be 0. Also if you’re using tap water it’s possible for tap water to come out with nitrites in it already although I’ve only seen that twice.

Ok, I’ll do this on my next water change, if there are nitrites present, would I have to make another batch?

There’s a small chance your tap water may have nitrites in it. If I were you I would run a test on your tank water, and your tap water. And if your tap water doesn’t come out 0 I would take a cup of both to your LFS for them to test. If your tap really isn’t coming out 0 then you will want to switch to RODI water (which i would highly recommend either way)

Back
Top Bottom