nitrites and corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicksgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know I need to have no nitrites in my fish tank but I am starting up the Nano for corals only. The tank is still empty but nitrites are at "point one".. All other parameters are okay.
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 1
pH: 8.1

Are these okay to put coral frags in? (polythoa and zoos)

I don't see why not....I would recomend that you make sure to keep the water topped off and do frequent water changes to keep the parameters in check!

As long there is any detectable level of NO2, your tank has not finished cycling and not safe for livestock. the same is true for reefs as it is for fish...NH3 and NO2 at ZERO, NO3 can be maintained between 5-10ppm, but closer to zero is always better and should be the goal of proper husbrandry.

I totally missed the mark on that one...I was reading nitrAte not nitrIte...Lando is right...Nitrite showing means you aren't completely cycled yet....sorry...doh!

I was reading nitrAte not nitrIte...Lando is right...Nitrite showing means you aren't completely cycled yet
that is what I figured. I had to read it a couple times just to be sure...lol!

It greatly depends on the method used to cycle the tank. 4-6 weeks is a good rule of thumb, provided there is enough nutrients in your tank to feed the cycle. Once your NO2 drops to zero, you should see a spike in NO3. At that point, doa sizable water change and then recheck levels after a couple of days. If NH3 and NO2 are at zero with some detectable NO3, your tank has cycled.

Back
Top Bottom