Nitrites in established tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I just did my weekly reading before a waterchange and surprised to see a nitrite reading. Only thing that is new is a new 250classic eheim canister filter the tank also has a eheim classic 350 canister running for over a year same with the internal pf2 I have in tank as well.

Any suggestions as to why a sudden nitrite reading.

Other readings are good. See PIC.

Subtropical Tank 119gallon 465litre

Stock all healthy

6fancy goldfish
4wcm
5danios
2variatus platies.

I do 50% weekly water changes on Sunday. Will check readings after today's water changes. But any advice to what may cause a nitirite reading in an established tank would be helpful.

Feed sinking pellets twice a day variety I mix brands up. Subtopical fish get hiraki mirco pellets and wafrers. Bloodworms/live dafia once a week. Veg 3-4 times a week. Algae waters as a treat once in a blue moon.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

PH is between 7.6-7.8

Attachments

• 1424610602048.jpg
    1424610602048.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 80
Oh new canister up and running just over a week now.

Just did a nitrite reading on tap water at 0ppm so know that's good.

Hi! How high was the nitrite reading? Did you remove any other filtration when you added the new filter? add any new fish or change food brands/add a new food? Clean filter media recently or do a heavy gravel vac? Someone possibly thought the fish were hungry and added an extra meal? Did you change any products you normally use such as water conditioner or other chemicals? Check your tap water for ammonia?

An unexpected bump in a normally zero nitrite reading can be caused by a variety of things and yours may simply be your tank adjusting to increased filtration. We just have to try to figure what created a spike to prevent another in the future. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looked to be between 0.25ppm and 0.50ppm. I did a 50% water change and it went back to blue 0ppm. I have removed 2 2012 eheim pick ups internal filters and replaced with the new 250 Eheim Classic external canister. I put some of the seeded sponges from the two internal filters into the new canister.

Established filters a Eheim 350classic external filter and a interpret pf2 were left on tank.
Alongside the new external canister.

I thought this would be enough. I wanted another canister so I could remove two of my internal filters so fish had more swimming space.

I could put one of the 2012 pick ups back in. Till the new canister builds up BB. But would the BB have died by now on the 2012 pickup sponges as been out of water.

Thanks! That makes sense. There was rearrangement of filter media and filter removal for the addition of the new filter. It's surprising how little it takes to upset a tanks balance and yours was not an exception but rather pretty typical.

Not a big deal though! Just keep an eye on your numbers and do an extra wc if needed. I expect it will rebalance itself fairly quickly so no need to stress over it. :)

I could put one of the 2012 pick ups back in. Till the new canister builds up BB. But would the BB have died by now on the 2012 pickup sponges as been out of water.

If you still have the sponges and they are not completely dried out, it wouldn't hurt to add them. If they are even slightly damp, they still have viable bacteria. If not, don't worry! Just keep an eye on things until your tank balances itself.

The new filter has been in a week now. I'll do a mid week reading and WC if needed. Thanks at least I know it was this. How often should I clean external filter. I do the current one every two weeks. Just rinse media in old tank water. I'm thinking I should let the new filter sit untouched for a month.

Yep, I would let the new one go 4-6wks unless you notice that the flow is slowing down indicating it needs attention. Then just alternate filter cleanings between the filters so they are cleaned on different weeks. :)

Sounds like mini-cycle as the new filter builds up. I think just monitoring and PWCs as necessary should be fine for the next week or two.

Thanks. Will do that.

Jlk just a word on cleaning. I clean my ornaments and artificial coral once a week. Is this too much. As I know BB sits on surfaces. I don't touch my pebbles never clean them as have only a thin layer over bottom of tank so no waste gets stuck. And they stay clean looking. So almost a bare bottom tank with a good few pebbles over it.

I like a clean looking tank I never have algae or brown mess in it.

Mid week nitrites better. Cause I can never quite tell with the ammonia reading. I'm doing a 25% WC anyway just to be safe as although it does look yellow. I know my filter is on a mini cycle I'll do it as a precaution. . Then back to 50% on sun.

Attachments

• 1424903091468.jpg
    1424903091468.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 63
Jlk just a word on cleaning. I clean my ornaments and artificial coral once a week. Is this too much. As I know BB sits on surfaces. I don't touch my pebbles never clean them as have only a thin layer over bottom of tank so no waste gets stuck. And they stay clean looking. So almost a bare bottom tank with a good few pebbles over it.

Your fine!! Try not to stress too much. From what it appears on your picture below, things seem to be balancing themselves. :)

In the last 4days I've lost 3fish 2danios and a wcm. I checked levels Sunday before waterchange and everything good 0, 0 5-10nitrates and today I came home tank smelt funny so did a test and nitrite was at 0.25-0.50. Did a 30-40%waterchange. Did reading nitrite nearer blue but still tinge of purple. Should I water change again tomorrow. I noticed 2fish were missing Friday night but couldn't find any bodies then on water change under grass and haunted house was a lot of debris like waste. I'm assumeing rottened bodies could have been dead for days. Then tonight I noticed I couldn't see other danio and cause of smell I thought I'd do a reading and found dead body under ornament. There's no sign of disease. At first I put the first two fish deaths down to old age as all my little guys are 1-2yr old. But the third makes me think water quality caused it.

One thing I don't want to lose is any of my goldies

2 goldies are going up to surface quite abit. I'm going to do a massive 75% waterchange tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom