nitrites need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterj

Aquarium Advice Regular
About 2 weeks ago I changed the layout of my tank. Removed all rock and fake plants. And replace with all new rocks and plants. Looks great. Fish have more open space to swim. (55 gallon). A day or so later I checked the water (api liquid) and my nitrites were sky high. 4ppm. I did a water change. Dosed with prime and stability. Its been 2 weeks now and still the same. No nitrates. No ammonia. Would changing the rock out kill off my bacteria. Was all the bacteria on the rock.the tank was fully cycled up and running 8 months . Fishless cycle added all 12 fish at once. Never had a problem with nitrites. Never had an issue. 12 cichlids. Around 3 in. Weekly water changes for nitrates usually when I got to 40 ppm. I even left 4 small pieces of rock from the last set (texas holly ph buffer.) I have sand substrate. Black Tahitian moon. I have 3 canister filters on tank. Eheim ecco.80(bio media) fluval 306(phosguard and mech) and marineland 350.(carbon). My water is crystal clear. Looks like the fish are just floating on air. Did I screw up changing everything around. Hope to get the cycle going again. Dosing with prime and 50% water changes every other day. Trying not to lose any fish. Seems like their good. I think I stress them a little with all the water changes. Also using well water. Nothing out of the ordinary. Same way for 8 months now. Any help would be appreciated.

BB will be on your rocks in decorations. You might have done a big hit to the BB colonies when you swapped out the rocks.

What doesn't make sense is that your filters should still have theirs.... I would do water changes to get the nitrite down to 0.25 or less and just keep testing and changing water until your bacteria colonies catch back up.

I have done the same thing before. You have generated a mini cycle. If you do a large water change like 50 percent to get the nitrites down it will help. Then do daily 20-25 percent until the mini cycle is over. Remember nitrites are as deadly as ammonia. Water changes and Prime are your best options.

Back
Top Bottom