Nitrtites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Normally your cycle will take care of it, what is your tanks size and stocking? How long has it been set up?

You shouldn't have a nitrite problem if your tank was cycled. Please answer the questions above so we can help you better.

Ok,
I have a 48 litre which I have had for a 2 months
It currently holds three mollies and the same number of neons

I was new to the hobby and followed wrong advice and put fish in after three days

It just finished bringing ammonia down and has gone to nitrite

I thought doin more than a quarter water change was wrong bacteria wise?

Doing big water changes will not hurt your beneficial bacteria because the amount living freely in the water is very small.
How high is the nitrite? If it's over 0.5 parts per million, it is quite toxic to fish. You can use prime water conditioner to emergently bind the nitrite while doing frequent water changes to make the nitrite less toxic.
I would do a series of 50% water changes every few hours until the nitrite is 0.5 or below, and dose Prime accordingly.
The Nitrite portion of the cycle was the longest for me when i cycled my 55 gallon. It took almost 6 weeks for my bacteria to catch up with it. During that time, I was doing daily water changes, and dosing with prime. I was lucky, and didn't lose a single fish.
Keep up with the water changes and your fish should be ok.

Perfect advise from Sambo. The only thing I would add to that is:!do you know anyone with an established tank? If so, ask them to give you some of their filter media. It can be bio rings, cut a piece of the sponge, anything. You can add that to your filter and this would speed up the cycle significantly.

Thanks for everyone's advice
Got water tested the next week and everything perfect
Finally!!
Again thanks you have been great help :)

Back
Top Bottom