no declorinator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How are you distilling it?? This is not a common thing for one to do in their home... If you are distilling water, it is either distilled, or it isn't, there is no time involved.

How are you distilling it?? This is not a common thing for one to do in their home... If you are distilling water, it is either distilled, or it isn't, there is no time involved.

NVM, how long does tap water have to sit before it is considered safe to put in a fish tank?

Just letting it sit might not make it safe at all. Chlorine will offgas in as little as 8-12 hours (or even quicker if you add some aeration or a powerhead). However, chloramines, if your tapwater contains them, will not off gas.

If you are on public water, you need to use a conditioner to be sure that the water is safe to add to the tank - it is a necessary part of the hobby... and about the only chemical I ever recommend one add to their tank.

Just letting it sit might not make it safe at all. Chlorine will offgas in as little as 8-12 hours (or even quicker if you add some aeration or a powerhead). However, chloramines, if your tapwater contains them, will not off gas.

If you are on public water, you need to use a conditioner to be sure that the water is safe to add to the tank - it is a necessary part of the hobby... and about the only chemical I ever recommend one add to their tank.

My friend has some, I thought it was in my dorm when I started cleaning my tank, it wasn't. She's at a lax game and I'll have to wait for her to get back. Can I just add some bottled water, that would be safe because it's pre filtered right?

Not necessarily. It would PROBABLY be ok, but some bottled water is taken from city water sources, and is not filtered for chlorine or chloramines.

Not necessarily. It would PROBABLY be ok, but some bottled water is taken from city water sources, and is not filtered for chlorine or chloramines.

Well poland spring is probably fine then. Thank you for the responses. Now I'm glad I don't have the 10 gallon. I should have had the dechlorinator before I even started, it was my fault for not being prepared.

Back
Top Bottom