No nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I set up a new tank 2.5 months ago. Essentially did a fish less cycle. Ammonia spiked to 4.0 and then came down to 0 (admittedly I don't know all the details because hubby did this part). It took about 3-4 weeks I think. Now I have fish and a few live plants in the tank but I never have seen nitrates show up. Fish have been in for about a month.

40 gal. Ammonia usually between 0-.25. 0 nitrates/nitrites. PH 8.2. Temp 78.
Weekly WC 30% (or any time ammonia shows up).

3 juvenile angelfish and a juvenile pleco. I have wisteria and Anubis in the tank. It is lightly planted.

Thoughts on why nitrates haven't shown up?

Between the low bio-load, the size of the tank, and having water wisteria that uses a lot of nutrients it's not surprising that you have no nitrates. Thing is plants need nitrates along with other nutrients. I would get and use some root tabs for the wisteria. You also might want to get and use something like Flourish Comprehensive weekly to add some nutrients to the water.

Also if the tank is cycled you shouldn't be seeing ammonia readings unless your tap water has ammonia in it.

Thanks, that's what I was guessing too. Do you think I shouldn't get even a .25 ammonia reading if the tank is cycled?

Thanks, that's what I was guessing too. Do you think I shouldn't get even a .25 ammonia reading if the tank is cycled?

IMO if you don't have a low ph, there is no ammonia in the tap water, and the tank is cycled you shouldn't be having any ammonia registering.

Back
Top Bottom