Nocturnal Anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petrichor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have no idea what this is, but I'm freaking out because it was NOT there a few hours ago and I've never seen it in the month we've had this rock. I mean, it's bigger than a quarter, how could I miss that?!

It's brown with a ring of tentacles (no idea if there's a mouth), and a few of the tentacles are longer with bulbs at the tips. It's sensative to light because after I turned the light on to photograph it the thing receded into it's hole (not all the way though). It reminds me of a strawberry anemone, but more monstrous and brown and scary. D:

I thoroughly checked that rock for hitchhikers when we got it, particularly in that little hole, and all I saw were some sponges and corraline. I'm really disappointed this guy went totally unchecked, because chances are, in this hobby, he's something horrible.

Also, Appy the (potential) aiptasia in the front of the hole says goodbye, because he won't be there for much longer.

Finding huge things you didn't know you had in your tank that you don't even know what they are is horrible when you're just about to step into bed. :(

Attachments

• wtf_anemone.jpg
    wtf_anemone.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 104
Looks like a majano anenome. They are bad news and I would use some aptasia x or hot lemon juice or boiling water in a syringe. They are a bit harder to kill than aptasia, but nasty bad guys. Good luck!! Also, you have probably not seen him before because they are pretty good at hiding in crevices and holes. I has a few rocks for over 6 month till the aptaisa popped up...

That's what I thought it was initially, but the tentacles didn't seem like majano because only a few had bubble tips and were longer than the others, plus it reacts towards light which I don't think majanos did. Then again my other majano anemone looked nothing like regular majanos, so I guess I'm just getting lucky with all the weird looking ones.

Either way I'm picking up some Aiptasia X tonight since my peppermint shrimp is being lazy, so the little big guy has about 10 hours to live. Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom