Noisy Remora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coolsp22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Remora is the noisiest thing in the house. Looked up some threads here and seen the DIY noise reducers but they seem to be for the water spray noise which is not my complaint. My problem lies with the powerhead (Marineland 1200). I took the powerhead off and traded it in for another and then another and it seems the noise is going nowhere. I did some experimenting and think I have it figured out but with no solution. I ran the powerhead in pump circulation mode in the sink and it is a quiet head. Where I found the problem with noise is when back pressure is applied to the outtake. I placed a finger closer to the outtake as to cut off the stream and that created back pressure on the impeller cause it to rotate unbalanced therefore creating vibration and NOISE! The Remora's intake is the same size as the outtake on the Marineland so when the powerhead is trying to push a powerful stream of water threw the small opening it is causing the back pressure. And I believe that this back pressure is what is causing all of our headaches with a noisy skimmer.

Sorry if this the wrong place for this thread, I seen tech support and thought it looked like the right spot, but after posting thought maybe this is support for the site. New to this forum posting thing.

Yeah, wrong forum, but someone will move it to the equipment section. :)

I have the same skimmer, a remora pro that I use a maxijet 1200 with and have no noise really. I also have the bubble skimmer box too though, I'm guessing thats muffling the noise.

Back
Top Bottom