Noob Filter Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I've had a setup since new year, I bought it already set up from a friend. Im wanting to change out the filter for a bigger/better one as the one in the tank isn't very good. I know all about the bacteria etc so I know I can't just swap filters but I was wondering if it would work running 2 filters (new and old) until the new one is seeded with bacteria?? Would this work and if so how long would I need to run the new one for and would it be ok for the fish?? Thanks

I run a aquaclear 70 and a internal fluval u4 on my 55gal and the water stays nice and clear its best to try and use some filter media from an established tank for about a week in your new filter system to get the bacteria setup and going if the old filter media does not fit into the new filter get a clean sock or stocking and put the media in that and let it sit in the tank to seed your bacteria old substrate can also be used as well good luck

Thanks for the quick reply, would it not work just running them both for a week or 2 then taking the old one out? Also which filters are good? I have a 26gallon tank?

If you can, it's probably worthwhile running two filters anyway so that you have a backup in case one fails. Also, there's no such thing, really, as too much filtration!

Generally speaking, filters are capable of half the filtration they advertise -- so if you were to pick up a filter that's advertised for a 30 gallon, it's really best for a 15 gallon or less tank.

AquaClears are pretty easy to operate and decently priced filters. I'm running a 70 and a 30 on our 36 gallon and our water is always crystal clear.

You should be fine if you run both the new and old filters together considering the old one has all your bacteria you need get a Api test kit and monitor your water quality after you setup the new one just to make sure you don't accidentally force your tank into a new cycle

I cleaned my filter out today and found out that its made by a company called 'elite'. Turns out that's its only meant to be for a 100 litre tank and mines a 120 so its way under powered to start with, then to make matters worse I removed the sponge to clean it and it was the tiniest little thing I've ever seen!! So its turns out I've been running with an under powered filter with no sponge!! No wonder my water was bitty lol needless to say I've wrapped that old sponge in some new membrane that fills the section and I shall be investing in a new filter on pay day. Would a 200 litre filter be fine for a 120 litre tank?

A general rule of thumb is to take a filter's rated capacity and halve it to get a more practical rating, so look for a filter rated for 200-300L.

An AC70 would make a great filter on that tank. I use one on my 29g.

Back
Top Bottom