Noob substrate question/dirt question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molson_28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I'm interested in making my new 90 gallon tank into a planted tank and I have a question. Does substrate ever run out of nutrients??? If so what do you do to combat that. Also if I used dirt would that too ever run out of nutrients? Thanks for any feedback much apreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So when the nutrients eventually run out, do you need to replace the substrate? Will the plants die?

Just supplement the roots feeders with root pellets/tabs. There are some DIY root pellets for much cheaper.
They plants won't die immediately. They may show signs ("feed me!") of nutrient deficiency at some point.
I use EcoComplete in two tanks. No dirt. In the low light shrimp tank are crypts and I used to add root pellets monthly but have not for several months. Growth is still the same. In my high tech tank I have not added root pellets since the summer. I have primarily stem plants so I'm not sure how critical is for them. Here's a pic of the high tech tank.
0LhwkAC.png

WOW amazing tank. Is that a 125? So what makes it high tech? Beautiful tank man love it

Eco complete never needs to be replaced and absorbs whats there from root tabs or fish waist.

Dirt or other plant substrates will need to be replaced every so often

Awesome man thanks for the reply. I'll go with the Eco complete then

WOW amazing tank. Is that a 125? So what makes it high tech? Beautiful tank man love it

Hah! You are off by 105 gallons! It's a 20g long. It's all in the perspective.

Here's a pic of the high tech tank.
0LhwkAC.png

Fresh2o your tank is awesome. What type of bacopa is that in the left background? Caroliniana?

I notice that your AR mini looks similar to mine, where the upper surface is brown tan and the underside is red. How come other people have AR mini which is red on upper and undersides of leaves? Are we doing something wrong with our AR mini or do other people just have a different variety? I don't think its Photoshop or Kelvin rating of lights.

Fresh2o your tank is awesome. What type of bacopa is that in the left background? Caroliniana?

I notice that your AR mini looks similar to mine, where the upper surface is brown tan and the underside is red. How come other people have AR mini which is red on upper and undersides of leaves? Are we doing something wrong with our AR mini or do other people just have a different variety? I don't think its Photoshop or Kelvin rating of lights.

Thanks!
Plants along the back L->R:
Ammania bonsai, Rotala wallichi, Pogostemon erectus, Alternanthera reineckii, Bacopa caroliniana
Along the front:
Pogostemon helferi (Downoi), AR mini, Staurogynes repens

As for the AR and AR mini coloration, I believe light is the main contributor. I've also read low nitrate, high phosphate, and may increased iron helps as well.
A majority of my AR mini are in sad shape. Curled leaves. It may be a nutrient deficiency.

Thanks for the info! Gtz again on the nice tank.
BTW i think ammania bonsai is now officially called rotala indica, and what was previously commonly called rotala indica is now officially called rotala rotundifolia.

Hah! You are off by 105 gallons! It's a 20g long. It's all in the perspective.

Haha, I thought it was bigg too, like those filters were Emperior 400's or something

Awesome man thanks for the reply. I'll go with the Eco complete then

Yeah, thats what I went with, pretty spendy but works good.

Are those little plastic things so the flow doesn't disturb the plants?

Yes. Got tired of the "waterfall" hitting the plants and this was a way to modify the direction. The plastic can be bent to direct the water along the surface as needed. The pic was taken when the filters were off. Still, two AC50s pushing 150-200 gph each is a lot of flow for a 20g.
Here is a post from 2013 describing the flow diverters:
HOB Flow Diverter

Yes. Got tired of the "waterfall" hitting the plants and this was a way to modify the direction. The plastic can be bent to direct the water along the surface as needed. The pic was taken when the filters were off. Still, two AC50s pushing 150-200 gph each is a lot of flow for a 20g.
Here is a post from 2013 describing the flow diverters:
HOB Flow Diverter

Thx, I have also scene people use breeder box's. I want to plant up my 150g but my AC110 is an issue with the tall back plants.

Back
Top Bottom