Now the regals gone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oO BRIGHTY Oo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so today we returned our regal tang to the lfs we bought it from due to recommendations of swimming space for it to thrive,

Any suggestions of something more suitable for a 68gal FOWLR

Current stock
2 tank bred clowns
1 baby Koran angel
1 threadfin butterfly
2 cleaner shrimp
4 emerald crabs
3 blue hermits
4 turbo snails

On order is a Hawaiian cleaner wrasse

I was thinking maybe some sort of dwarf angel

Any dwarf angel would work great in your tank,,
i hate to say it though,,,that koran and butterfly will have to go too

I agree with the Koran will when it gets bigger but not the threadfin as I've read up from many different sources stating that there is plenty of room for it to thrive in a 4ft 68gal tank.

Has anyone had a Hawaiian cleaner wrasse before?

Any suggestions on what type of dwarf angel could be quite cool?!

OK ,your fish ,your tank...IMO ,i think its too big a fish to be in there
Why keep the angel though...Thing is ,,he will never develop his adult colors in such a small tank..too stressful ,,doesn't seem fair..

I'm not gaining anything by telling you this,,just trying to be helpful

Stressful? The Koran floats around as if he is grazing on cannabis off the live rock, it's the most mellow fish in my tank!

If you want to take the moral high ground of 'fair' then no fish keeping is fair as you can never replicate the ocean, plus depriving the species the chance of mating. I have seen a fish store keep a fully grown Koran in virtually a box for over 2 months selling for £70 with no stress related illness at all, my Koran is tiny and it only cost me £25 when it gets bigger I stand to make a tidy profit and will have had the pleasure of keeping such a beautiful fish

Why is it that tank size is always the issue. Many people on here know the fish they are keeping will need to be upgraded or traded, the issue at hand would be best resolved if people focused on the real issue or reason for the post. This being the tang, that would have been too big for the tank has been taken out, so why not applaud this man for taking him back instead of slating him for keeping fish. I'm sure both threadfin and angel are happier there for now and a while to come, than cramped in a small tank in a LFS.

Sad news you had to take him back Brighty, but well done for being able to part with him, he was a beautiful fish. Hopefully he will go to a tank appropriate for his needs ey.

In regards to stocking I'm no sw man, but I'm sure others on here will help with some other fish that will go.

Thank you for sharing my trail of thought nomad.

Just wanted some ideas not to ruffle feathers!!

You had the fish how long ?
I currently keep a koran(going on 3 years ...he was the size of yours when i got him) Easily 6-7 inches now...Good luck with yours changing
Why suggest more fish for a tank that already has fish that are too big for it now

OMG the Koran is an inch and the threadfin is not going to grow anymore then that and I've done my research on the threadfin and it is fine in that size aquarium.

Again you keep going on about size of aquarium, if that is the case judging by your picture you have a triggerfish, I've swam with them in the Maldives face to face with these and they get to the size of a car tyre, so your telling me that your aquarium can house a fish that large, you yourself must be depriving the fish a 'fair' chance to grow, yours is just on a different scale.

Seriously there seems to be a heir-achy on this site that seems to have people knock people down who ask genuine questions

If it took three years for yours to get big surely he has plenty of time to upgrade doesn't he.

So where is everyone else to defend a koran angel and a butterfly in a 70 gal....and say to add more fish

I'm done ..good luck

At least I'm not here just to inflict my hugely inflated ego trip on everyone.

It matters not that he doesn't own a SW his views have been totally valid but you have taken no one elses opinion into account, it seems it's your way or the highway and that is not the point of this forum.

I listened to people and returned the regal.

I guarantee the size of your Koran divided by your tank size, is more then the size of my Koran to my tank, it is all relative.

I respect your decision to return the regal, the right thing to do. The Koran is going to need more room in time however you are aware of this and he is just a baby at the moment, you should expect that you may have to rehouse him in around a year or so. I also think you may be fine with the butterfly but should keep an open mind. I sometimes think the guys from the uk get a slightly rough time on this forum over SW, tank sizes, ideas on equipment etc. What people forget is that the UK imperial gallons are around 20% bigger than US gallons, not that this is necessarily the issue in this case. I actually don't think anyone was trying to be funny here though, just imparting knowledge he felt would be helpful.

paulace2372 said:
I respect your decision to return the regal, the right thing to do. The Koran is going to need more room in time however you are aware of this and he is just a baby at the moment, you should expect that you may have to rehouse him in around a year or so. I also think you may be fine with the butterfly but should keep an open mind. I sometimes think the guys from the uk get a slightly rough time on this forum over SW, tank sizes, ideas on equipment etc. What people forget is that the UK imperial gallons are around 20% bigger than US gallons, not that this is necessarily the issue in this case. I actually don't think anyone was trying to be funny here though, just imparting knowledge he felt would be helpful.

It was the way in which it was written. Why is there a need to be condescending? Your reply was nice and still gave the same information, but the difference is clear to see. I think it can be a little intimidating asking for help and being ripped apart for one thing which you cant change instantly. It's not nice for the newer members and puts alot of us off posting for help knowing what kind of replies were going to get, and end up with no help for the problem or advice. The previous poster had a koran angel and could have just as easily told him what fish he kept with it rather than go down the route he went. That's all he was asking for.

I agree, I do think the reply to you was rude and unnecessary. There is no need to be condescending. I also think that it's a shame some people just can't be helpful without the sarcasm.

Well that's all the other guy isn't it. Maybe now someone might suggest some fish for this guy. Sorry Brighty I diddnt mean to jump on your defence but I had to chip in.

Back
Top Bottom