Obligated to share

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have to share this with you all. I started researching what I would need to keep discus almost a year ago. Everything that I've read has said they are extremely sensitive and difficult to keep. It seems everyone has their opinions on the topic and what the best set up for them is. Either way the consensus has been (for the most part) that they are in fact a very "needy" fish. So I would like to share with you the story of Trooper. I first saw him at the lfs and fell in love immediately. I asked about him after watching him for almost an hour. I was informed he was already sold. My heart fell, I still held out hope though. I left and revisited the next week and he was still there. I asked again, was told the same thing, sold and on hold. Well it was about a month later that I had saw him and asked every weekend when they finally said if the other person didn't come for him by the new year I could have him. So I left my number. The new year came and I got a call that I could have him if I still wanted him. I jumped! Yes! I don't drive and the lfs is in the next city over from us so I had to wait until the weekend. I went to get him, the tank he was in was infected with culminarus (not sure of the spelling srry) I was devastated. The lfs said they would treat the tank and call me when it was good. Out of all his tankmates 18 discus he was the only survivor! I again had to wait till the weekend to get him. When I got there this time the tank he was in had a new batch of discus and this time they all had ich! So again I waited hoping he would pull through. Well, this past weekend I finally got him!! He's home and gorgeous and I just wanted to let you all know that I think Trooper is a great example of beating the odds. I know some of you may think I'm absolutely bonkers for even wanting a fish that has had contact with either of those ailments but I think if he can pull through that he deserves his own little piece of heaven in my home! Trust me he's going to be spoiled!!!!

Attachments

• image-3347123394.jpg
    image-3347123394.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 236
Thank you :) he's still a baby 3-4" so I'm excited to see how much more he will brighten up as he matures. He already recognizes me and even takes his blood worms from my fingers!

Thank you. He really is good looking isn't he? I'm not biased am I? Lol! I have to thank you discusapisto for letting me rant and rave while I was waiting for him to get the good to go. I probably would've went insane if I didn't have an ear to vent to. :)

Mlani said:
Thank you. He really is good looking isn't he? I'm not biased am I? Lol! I have to thank you discusapisto for letting me rant and rave while I was waiting for him to get the good to go. I probably would've went insane if I didn't have an ear to vent to. :)

Anytime I loved every minute besides discus are my speciality and my favorite fish of all time so I do love to talk about them. I'm just glad it worked out for you I know you were really upset when you went to buy him and he was sick it's good to see another successful fish story.

I think that's why I wanted to share his story with everyone on here. I read threads upon threads of people losing their fish (myself included) and thought why not share a "feel good" story. Plus I think it gives the stigma discus get a little boost in the other direction. That they can be strong fish and overcome illness too.

I have read a few of your posts about this guy and was silently rooting for you to get him! I was looking at pics of discus this morning and wondering why everyone likes them so much, but I TOTALLY see why you fell for Trooper! I would have too! I'm glad you finally have him and that he has a good home. Good for both of you!

Yeah I'm glad you posted this, discus get such a bad rap but honestly they are some of the hardiest fish I've ever owned. And the best looking fish at that such great colors and personality but each is to their own. And god knows there are plenty of fish to choose from. At least he's in a good home now and out of that awful store.

Mlani said:
I have to share this with you all. I started researching what I would need to keep discus almost a year ago. Everything that I've read has said they are extremely sensitive and difficult to keep. It seems everyone has their opinions on the topic and what the best set up for them is. Either way the consensus has been (for the most part) that they are in fact a very "needy" fish. So I would like to share with you the story of Trooper. I first saw him at the lfs and fell in love immediately. I asked about him after watching him for almost an hour. I was informed he was already sold. My heart fell, I still held out hope though. I left and revisited the next week and he was still there. I asked again, was told the same thing, sold and on hold. Well it was about a month later that I had saw him and asked every weekend when they finally said if the other person didn't come for him by the new year I could have him. So I left my number. The new year came and I got a call that I could have him if I still wanted him. I jumped! Yes! I don't drive and the lfs is in the next city over from us so I had to wait until the weekend. I went to get him, the tank he was in was infected with culminarus (not sure of the spelling srry) I was devastated. The lfs said they would treat the tank and call me when it was good. Out of all his tankmates 18 discus he was the only survivor! I again had to wait till the weekend to get him. When I got there this time the tank he was in had a new batch of discus and this time they all had ich! So again I waited hoping he would pull through. Well, this past weekend I finally got him!! He's home and gorgeous and I just wanted to let you all know that I think Trooper is a great example of beating the odds. I know some of you may think I'm absolutely bonkers for even wanting a fish that has had contact with either of those ailments but I think if he can pull through that he deserves his own little piece of heaven in my home! Trust me he's going to be spoiled!!!!

He's very beautiful. Well worth the wait.

You know, I'm not even sure. Lol! I'm thinking a turquoise of some kind? I'm positive someone on here will know better than I. ;-)

what a lucky fish trooper is. i'm sure he'll have the best home ever. congratulations to BOTH of you! :)

VioletEmber said:
How is Trooper doing?

Fantastic! Thank you for asking. I think he's "fattening" up a bit. He is still the "king" of the tank. Although he doesn't seem to be getting taller? His colors are brightening up all over him instead of just top and bottom. I've been thinking about getting him some "friends" but I'm afraid to add more discus because he is doing so well on his own.

congratulations for owning a discus fish - they are truly the kings of the freshwater aquarium. they are so beautiful and gentle but proud fishes - i have 3 (2-3 years old) and im planning to buy more once my new tank is completed i will add 3-4 more.

try to make its diet diverse like i do so it can grow faster and healthy - mix it with beef heart, artemia, tubifex, krill and bloodworms so that he gets different nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom