oceanic system bio-cube supplies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pspiegel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know of a place online to order oceanic systems bio-cube supplies? Specifically replacement sponge and carbon cartridge? I can't seem to find them in my LFS..

Also, how often should I be changing my sponge? I know carbon should be pretty frequent..

Thanks!!

Is there a website on the manufacturer's instructions? As for sponges, if you aren't having algae outbreaks, you can probably leave them in (just rinse them out in your old SW). I took mine out 2 at a time, over a 2 week period. Carbon, I don't run unless I need to and haven't had it in almost three months now. I believe the carbon should be replaced maybe 1 time a month, but I have heard it only really works for about two weeks.

no website on the manufacturers instructions, just their own that doesn't have a store.. i guess oceanic is more of an east coast brand I was told, and i am in CA..

i have two pouches of carbon that i alternate between every week or so (someone on here suggested it), the sponges I have never replaced since the tank is only a couple weeks old.

I was just curious when I should replace the sponges and more specifically the little sliding carbon insert.. I assume it is carbon inside because when I ran it under water the first time black water came out.. but it doesn't say anywhere on the instructions if it is carbon and something else too.. I haven't taken out this "carbon" insert yet though, just alternated the packs

also, how often should I change ceramic rings?

sorry for so many questions, just want to get my maintence schedule down!

I would add carbon, if my water changed colors, like started turing yellow or became murky. I'm not sure you really need it all the time....maybe once a month and see what happens. You can change the sponges once they get really nasty, but you should rinse them out in the old SW whenever you do a PWC, otherwise, you'll end up with lots of algea, possibly other problems as well. You don't change the ceramic, unledd you replace it w/LR rubble. That is one place your beneficial bacteria resides and should also be rinsed out in your old SW.

thanks so much! i appreciate it! how often do you rinse out the ceramic in old sw? every few times you do a pwc?

I do PWCs every three weeks and rinse it then.

Back
Top Bottom