Ocellaris Clown Fish Breeding Setup - Need Advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilko88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice on a Ocellaris clownfish breeding set up... I must admit I'm a little clueless when it comes to marine but have had extensive experience with Cichlids and a lot of success breeding them.

I am looking at likely a 3 - 4 foot tank to breed them in (around a 200 - 300 liter tank) as I've read they typically breed best in about a 200 liter / 30 gallon tank but have bred happily in as small as 10 gallon tanks..

I am intending to keep live rock / sand in here for them along with some coral and a anemone... what I'm wanting to find out is what kind of filtration and lighting should I be looking at for this?
Additionally if anyone knows or could suggest a good place to buy a clownfish breeding pair I'd appreciate the advice - as I've heard they can take several years to pair up and breed otherwise..

Additionally, I am curious would they still breed happily with other fish in the tank? Or would the highest chances be kept by keeping them alone in the tank to keep them feeling more safe?

Any other advice on the setup, what I will need, what I should have, etc would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

Breeding cichlids and clownfish is a whole different ball game. Google breeding clownfish and read everything you find and then decide if you still want to give it a try.

no doubt - however I have already extensively researched breeding clownfish via google, spent about 10 or more hours researching their breeding & the difficulties of raising the fry, etc.

Intending to purchase the book Clownfishes: A Guide to Their Captive Care, Breeding & Natural History, once I can find a copy somewhere... as a extra reference toward breeding.

no doubt - however I have already extensively researched breeding clownfish via google, spent about 10 or more hours researching their breeding & the difficulties of raising the fry, etc.

Intending to purchase the book Clownfishes: A Guide to Their Captive Care, Breeding & Natural History, once I can find a copy somewhere... as a extra reference toward breeding.

Okay but try talking to ziggy i believe he tried this once before maybe he can give you some advice.

And try to see if there's a local reefer near you that has a pair to sell.

Back
Top Bottom