Odd Angelfish. May be sick or just mad at me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 6 Angelfish in 3 different sizes. 2 Half Black Blushing Veil tail the size if a nickle, doing great. 2 Gold veil Tail, a little bigger than a silver dollar, also doing great. And 2 Koi Angels, 1 Veil tail & 1 not, that are almost 3" tall. The 1 non Veil Tail Koi Angel is acting strange,:confused: but only occasionally.

He's eating well and getting along well with the others. But every time I do a PWC :eek: he spends the next 24-36 hours swimming with his nose pointing down at the gravel. He turns right side up for feeding time, eats like he's never been feed. Then he goes right back over again when he's finished eating.

There are no other signs or symptoms of anything, just upside down after every PWC, which I do twice a week. My water parameters are steady at Ammonia 0ppm, NitrItes 0ppm, NitrAtes 10ppm, pH 7.2. All I've ever used is Prime & tap water during PWC. I feed a combination of NLS Cichlid for the big guys & NSL Grow for the smaller ones. I'm sure they all get some of both but that shouldn't hurt them.

For now they are in a 55g tank, while I search CL for a 90g tank.

I thought it may be a swim bladder problem :facepalm:, so I researched it, a lot. But other than swimming strange after a PWC, he doesn't match any signs or symptoms of Swim Bladder disease or damage.

Should I be worried or is that just his way of showing me he doesn't like his home being messed with? It's been going on for about 2 months now. I've been searching the Internet for answers but I got nothing :banghead:.

Does anyone have any idea what he's doing and why he's doing it? Because I'm at a complete loss as to what he's doing and I would hate for the other Angels to get sick. But I don't think he's contagious, or the others would be acting the same way by now, wouldn't they?

doesnt the fish in the wild scavenge the ground? so when you clean he might be searching for food. idk if im right

Does it appear the fish is sulking? I have plenty of large cichlids that pout like babies for a day after water changes. I've had oscars just sit there on the substrate like a kid having a temper tantrum in a store...you remember those right! You already know about water quality and diet so my advice is to just keep a eye on her behavior, but doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me.

Mine scour the gravel ALL DAY LONG. Nose down all day picking in the gravel for food. Drives me nuts cuz I have bottom feeders that I would like to get some once in a while. After a PWC they have to look a little harder. Sounds perfectly normal.

He's not actually down near the gravel, he's in the middle of the tank just looking down and swimming. He's not really sulking either. And he doesn't scavenge off the bottom, ever. Come to think of it, none of mine do any scavenging from the bottom.

Just watch out. Your hobby could get a lot more expensive when you see the BEAUTIFUL angels some of these guys breed and sell.

:fish1:

Just watch out. Your hobby could get a lot more expensive when you see the BEAUTIFUL angels some of these guys breed and sell.

:fish1:
It already has. We started with 1 fish that was given to me for my Grandsons 4th B-Day. I didn't know what it was at the time, it turned out to be a common Pleco. All we had was a 10g tank, so we soon added the 55g for him. We named him Eddie Fisher he lived for 6 years in that tank. Then I added a school of Neon's and all my fish caught ick and died in one day. This was before AA, of course. I know sooo much more since I joined AA it's insane.
I now have 4 tanks, 2-10g & 2-55g. And I will soon be upgrading to a 75g for my Mbunas and a 90-100g for the Angels and then I'll use 1 of the 55g as a fry/grow tank and then I can use the 2-10g as the QT and Hosp tank they were meant to be.
But having soooo much more room means I'll just have to add some more fish to each tank :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. haha hehe
I'm looking forward to seeing all their Angels. Thank you so much for the recommendation, it's just what I needed for my new Angels. I'm sure I'll see you there.

Back
Top Bottom