Odd fantail behavior...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just watching my mum's tank and I noticed Mop (the fish I bought for my mum) doing something odd, he was swinnimg from 2 inches from the bottom onto the sand and turning so he hit his side on the sand, he was doing this for about 30 seconds then went back to what he usually does (erm, swim about looking content!!!)... 8O

Do you think that he might have just had something stuck in his gills or is he just being stupid? :?

I was doing a bit of aquatic gardening earlier this afternoon and a few bits of the plants accidentally got snipped off and I put in an extra 4L of water about an hour ago (mixed with Tapsafe chlorine remover) if that helps...

Mine once did that n i got told it was some sort of irritation, usually from something in the water?

RossyBoy said:
Mine once did that n i got told it was some sort of irritation, usually from something in the water?

Well, as I say, I'd just done a bit of tank gardening and topped up the water, no usual difference other than the water, but he hasn't done it again so I guess it was something stuck in his gills... :?

They're just nibbling the plants at the moment (not eating them, just pecking), so they seem to be fine....

Is a fish yawning a sign of any problems, or are they just tired? :?

It's called "flashing" and it means something is irritating the scales (or sides in scaleless fish). If he only did it once I wouldn't worry about it, but if you notice it continuing, check your water parameters to make sure there isn't a spike in something (ammonia, nitrites, etc.).

LandGhoti said:
It's called "flashing" and it means something is irritating the scales (or sides in scaleless fish). If he only did it once I wouldn't worry about it, but if you notice it continuing, check your water parameters to make sure there isn't a spike in something (ammonia, nitrites, etc.).

Like a bear scratching itself on a tree I guess?

Anyway, he hasn't done it again, and the other one (I'm sure it has a name, but I don't know it!!!) hasn't done anything like it, and both are getting ready for bed as they're sat, well, "suspended" in their favourite corner of the tank, occasionally going for a weave in amongst the plants... :D

Same for the three loaches, no odd behaviour and they've gone to bed in their corner... :)

Back
Top Bottom