Odd Nitrate Ready (at least for me)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anachrotech

Aquarium Advice Regular
I meant READING. sheesh - wish I could edit title
I've been doing either pre or post water change testing since January. Most of the post water changes had the nitrates between 5-10, closer to 10. Hard to read! This morning, my nitrate color was between 0-5, closer to 0. This may seem to be a stupid question, but should I be concerned?

Tank - 36g, Fluval 305 with ceramic bio-rings (2 baskets) and purigen (1basket)
Lighting - Current Plus LED 24"
Todays parameters - 0,0,<5
Other parameters tested before (not today) Phosphate btw .25-.50, Ph 7.6, GH 143.2, KH 71.6 (8,4)
Temp 78
Occupants: EBJD with suspected tumor (not eating much, not much waste except food he spits back out), 2 Mystery Snails, 4 Ghost Shrimp.
Gravel substrate, rocks, fake plants.
Weekly 50% water changes with gravel vacuuming-tap water w/Prime.

I did change the carbon in one basket to Purigen. Could this cause this drop?:confused: Or, more likely changing one basket from polishing pads/carbon to bio-rings (last month)?

ETA- Tested other parameters just now. Phosphate btw .25-.50, Ph 7.6, GH 125.3 and KH 53.7 (7,3)

Last edited:
As long as the tank isn't planted then don't worry about it. If the tank is planted you will need to have a nitrate reading of at least 10ppm.

Forgot to add that Purgen removes organics from the water which can indeed help lower nitrates.

As long as the tank isn't planted then don't worry about it. If the tank is planted you will need to have a nitrate reading of at least 10ppm.

Forgot to add that Purgen removes organics from the water which can indeed help lower nitrates.

Thank you. Good to know as I will move to planted sometime in the future. I wish I had the Purigen when battling to keep nitrates below 40

Back
Top Bottom