Odd Platty Behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinchi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all Im new here and I have introd myself in the appropo thread.

I have had a 20 gal high fish setup for the past 2.5 months.

10 days after I put my 1st 3 platty's in my tank had developed an Ick problem which has since been taken care of, with no fish lost. i dont think it is a prob now. Almost immediately after the Ick was cured I lost the only male platty I had. And about then I had a platty population boom. Now I estimate 1 have 3 sets of babies and 2 adult female platty's. Total maybe 15 fish.

For the past Month or so, the fish tank has become somewhat lethargic, in that the fish are not very active. the only time they look alive and come out where I can see them is at feeding time which is 2 times/day and everytime they see me get up from my chair ( I think because they think they will be fed).

Does anyone with Fish Psychology experience care to respond as to why my platty's dont seem to have "A Zest for Life"?

My tanks params are at the moment:

Temp: 80 degrees.

Light: Penn-Plax Aquari-Lux 18" inch 15 w bulb (on).
Substrate: Gravel (mostly white with few colors mixed in 2" deep) with small pcs of dead coral mixed in (not too many pcs)

I have tested 5 mins ago using the Jungle Qucik Dip 5 in 1 test Strips. The readings are: Nitrate (20, listed as safe); Nitrate (0.3, listed as being between Safe and Caution); Hardness (150-300, listed Hard to Very hard); Alkalinity (120-180, listed as ideal), and pH (7.8-8.4, listed as Alkaline).

I plan to do a 25% water change today where I will ADD the recommended dosage of the following: Jungle InstaChlor chlorine remover, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Coat, TetraAqua AquaSafe (with BioExtract for cleaner water) water conditioner.

I have my referenced lite on for about 8-12 hrs a day.
I have plastic aquarium plants (not many).
I use a Whisper 20 (HOB) filter with a floss sleeve and Activated Charcoal inside, which I squeeze out inside water change water every month and will do today.

My fish are fed a combo of TetraMin Tropical Flakes & TetraFin Goldfish flakes 2 times per day which they get enuff to eat in 5 mins.

I am sorry if Im long on the "Wordy Side", but I want to make sure I give all of all of the information about what is going on and inside my aquarium.

thanks,
Jim

if the platys just recently gave birth they could just be stressed a bit and tired.

Back
Top Bottom