Odd things to feed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I spoil my goldfish since all I can have in my dorm room are fish so my dog has to stay at home. I give her cucumber slices from my veggie subs, pop tart pieces, bread crumbs and ritz crackers, pieces of french fry, pieces of pizza crust. These are just occasional treats, she normally gets tropical flakes, goldfish pellets, and color enhancer flakes. People think I'm strange, but I can't help but spoil. Does anybody else feed strange food to their fish?

We do feed treats to our fish. Home grown feeders, fresh veggies, live worms but not greasy foods or junk foods like pizza crust, french fries, and pop tarts. I would nix that. Plus the fries have salt on them and its not good in the aquarium water..... But yes our fish are very spoiled, the get a huge variety of foods.

I have to say that the veggies are great, but veggies off of your sub aren't... becuase they may have mayonaise, dressing, or wahtever on them. If you want to give your goldie a treat, get fresh veggies and frozen bloodworms and stuff like that. The other stuff isn't really great to be tossing into the aquarium... My pleco goes nuts over zuchinni.

I agree with the others. It doesn't like a good thing to do. Grease is not a good idea in tanks, neither is pop tarts.

Feeding your fish food that has been commercially prepared is not a real good idea. Fast foods are loaded with calories and fats, both polyunsaturated and saturated. Pop tarts are loaded with sugars and preservatives.

You can feed them fresh veggies, which is always a good idea. But for the other foods, I strongly recommend that you discontinue it.

I'll jump on the bandwagon here. As a goldie keeper/lover, I cringe at the thought of the overall effect of your "treats". Goldfish eat just about everything so they'll gladly accept virtually anything you give them, for the most part. I would continue to feed veggies... and I would add in some fruits. My goldies LOVE oranges. Watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew, firm strawberry, peach, and even lemons have been eaten by them as well. Goldfish are NOT carnivorous by nature so a low protein, but varied, diet is essential. They are also quite prone to constipation. As a result, fruits and veggies are THE ultimate "treat" for them. Frozen bloodworms on occasion (which mine will tear up), but like I said, low protein.

As everyone has already said. All your really doing is poluting the water. The direct opposite of spoiling the fish. Your spoiling the water.

My bristle-nose cats love cucumber! I also throw in some frozen black worms for a treat every now and then to vary the diet in my aquarium.

Wow let me refrase that before coming into more trouble. The pop-tart pieces are just some crust crumbs that would be just like bread. I eat healthy, I get subs with fresh veggies and no mayo or anything else. The pieces of french fry she gets are the crispy ones, not full of grease and I don't salt the fries I make at home, and there isn't grease on the thin crust I give her from the pizza. If there were grease on it I wouldn't give it to her. I heard that ritz crackers are ok snacks for goldfish and would see a few crumbs of thin crust or pop-tart crust being far from that. I also heard that bread is ok but I don't give her bread because I think it could get stuck in her throat or make her bloat and bread makes the water bad. I don't give her enough of these treats to make the water bad. Just a few crumbs that she can eat quickly.

Even as an occasional treats, I will agree with the overwhelming majority that those types of treats are best left out of the tank.

I believe it was JChillin that made mention of it, but it's not the fact that it's not greasy or salty or whatever. It's more-or-less the fact that it's commercially prepared for human consumption and not for aquatic consumption. What you give may be few and far between and in extreme moderation, but the fact remains that commercially prepared "human food" can (and probably WILL) have ill effect on aquatic fauna over time.

We're not trying to criticize or attack you, but we're all just trying to look out for the well-being of your fish. There are many of different options (fruits and veggies, frozen bloodworms, even algae wafers) for your goldfish that they will see as a "treat".

A bit off topic, but can fish even "taste" complex foods like sugars; sweet, sour, bitter, etc? I know they can smell food and whatnot, but can they really TASTE? :?

I'd think they can taste, I know it sounds gross but she's tried eating a floating piece of fish poop and spit it out immediately. My betta's do that all the time too when they are picking food off the tank bottom.

I know what you mean about the taste... all of my fish will spit something out that they know isn't food.... I would continue with the fresh veggies.. that is great, but i would'nt put the other things in.... Just because of the perservatives, salt, oil, and such. However it is ultimately up to your discretion. I feed my fish veggies all the time and they love it, but other than that, its usually just the fish food!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom