Odyssea lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swiftler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know there are lots of people that say to stay away from these lights but I just want input on which one would suffice for a reef tank that will consist of anemones, polyps, toadstools, frogspawns etc. I've been reading many more current reviews of their fixtures and they are way more positive now then they were a few years ago. Anyway here are the two I'm looking at:

http://www.aquatraders.com/48-716W-Metal-Halide-T5-LED-Combo-p/54267.htm
4 T5's with 2 MH and 6 moon LED totaling 716 w

Or

http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-4x54W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52325.htm
4 t5's with 4 moon LED totaling 216 w

It's going on a standard 48" 55 gallon tank that's 18" tall. Please keep the comments about how bad these are to a minimum. I know I could be gambling here. I've done my research and like I stated earlier the reviews are better with the newer versions and I'm willing to take the chance. I just want to know if the t5/mh combo has more benifits to offer then just the t5's alone and if those benefits justify the additional costs and will be more beneficial to my tank inhabitants. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

I don't know on the salt side but I use mine for planted tanks and they came a long long way and now come with a warrenty

Anyway mine grow plants like mad even high light plants and it does NOT get hot good luck I love mine and would buy another in a heartbeat

Thanks for the positive input. I've been hearing that they are really good starter fixtures. Most say that the bulbs are slightly lower quality and to use them as backup which is fine. I'm just trying to figure out which one to get. I'm heading up to their home store on either Saturday or Sunday.

Swiftler said:
Thanks for the positive input. I've been hearing that they are really good starter fixtures. Most say that the bulbs are slightly lower quality and to use them as backup which is fine. I'm just trying to figure out which one to get. I'm heading up to their home store on either Saturday or Sunday.

Lol I use my bulbs for back up too but with the right combo I have vigorous growth I don't plan on upgrading either if it ain't broke don't fix it lol

I've used two of the odyssea fixtures and have had no problems with either. :)

I would for sure change out the bulbs that come with it though.

I have an odyssea 24'' metal halide advanced plus fixture and I'm very pleased with my purchase. I'm experimenting with a DIY led fixture right now but it wont be finished for a couple months. I have purchased new bulbs also and for the money the odyssea has to be considered.

So change of plans. A guy I deal with at my LFS wants to sell me his coralife aqualight pro 48" with bulbs for $300. I think this would be the best option. What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom