oh no....blue water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gingerpissflaps

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i bought some 'methylene blue' because i thought some of my fish had parasites because they keep skimming their sides on the gravel, so i went to my local fish supplier and they told me the best stuff to get was this, so i follwed the instuction and added the correct amount but now it was as if i poured a whole tub of ink in there, everthing is blue, it says that it will take a few days to clear, but im not so sure, i added it yesterday, and the water is still the same, i also think that it has dyed eveything in the tank! is this normal, has anyone else tried this product?

"Most promisingly as a preventative... against fungal and bacterial action on freshwater fish eggs. Though sometimes suggested as a treatment for ich, velvet, Cryptocaryon, Amyloodinium, other protozoa, monogenetic trematodes... there are far more useful medicines for actual treatment of these pathogens."

" will stain most everything in prolonged contact, concentration... and can kill off your nitrifying (biofilter) bacteria."

"Methylene Blue should not be used in the main aquarium as it will destroy or severely defect the biological filter bacteria. It can also permanently discolor equipment and silicate seals blue."

MethyleneBlue
Algone.com - Aquarium Fish Dips

I looked around a little but didn't see anything on how long it takes to dissipate. I haven't tried the product so I don't really know much about it. sorry.

I only ever use it in a pail/bucket reserved for this type of treatment. Dip then into the QT

Methylene blue was about the only medication there was in the early '70's.
It will stain everything it touches (exept fish because of the slime coat).
Activated charcoal and PWC's will help get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom