Oil slick in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovecatfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, i have noticed an oil slick on the water surface in my aquarium. What are possible causes and how can i help remove them?

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410097653287.jpg
    1410097653287.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 72
It doesn't take much oil in the water to make it look like an oil slick.
The fish food, fish waste and I'm thinking even our hands have some sort of oil in it so it's going to rise to the top.
Water movement on top doesn't really get rid of the oil but moves it around so it looks like it does.
I'm thinking a sure way to get rid of it would be to find a way to skim the surface water to go into your filter, this is easier when using a sump.
I personally, don't worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi guys, i have noticed an oil slick on the water surface in my aquarium. What are possible causes and how can i help remove them?

I've heard you can still the water by turning everything off then use paper towels lightly pressed to the water surface to remove it.

Never tried it though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I increased the flow of my filter. . Hmm I'm afraid it is an undectable water quality issue

I increased the flow of my filter. . Hmm I'm afraid it is an undectable water quality issue

What do you feed. What size tank and what is your filter?

14gallon long. 2ft long. I feed baby brine shrimp, blood worms and daphnia. I have 2 sponge filters, one running at 120litres an hour and the other 100 litres an hour. And another HOB filter running at 60litres an hour

I've tried the paper towel blotting method and it works, but the effects are temporary.
Increased flow rate helps but surface agitation will reduce the build up of film. I have an AC50 HOB filter on a 20g long tank and the flow rate is equivalent to 560-750 LPH. I have a piece of plastic that fits onto the filter output that acts as a "bridge" or "ramp" and it quiets the splash but it also allows film to buildup. If I remove the plastic, I get the splash, noise, and bubbles but the film is usually gone in a few hours.

So how do i do the removal of the oil? Just let the paper rest on the water?

So how do i do the removal of the oil? Just let the paper rest on the water?

Don't let it rest. As soon as hits the surface and gets wet, remove it promptly. The oils at the surface will cling to the paper towel but may release back into the water it left in there too long. It may take several sheets to remove the oil.

Thanks guys! I dont think it is affeCting the aquarium much. BUt its an eye sore when i feed haha thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom