ok #1's a crab.... but what the heck is the other thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedRain5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok this thing showed up in my tank i didn't even know it was in the tank it's a crab & I'm thinking rock crab any sugestions on what type of crab it is? and will it bother my fish? or zoos....? it's been in the tank for a while apparently. I have no idea where it came from because i just noticed it today
img_831880_0_81ad5be5b5ca08cdf46498a8472b0d8b.jpg

img_831880_1_6c71861928b68ec714aabcf997dcb94e.jpg

photo bucket didn't like my pics too much so it compressed them a bit sry

ok & #2 is some kind of bi valve with tentacle arms all over the place it scoots around on the bottom & climbs up things and burrys & even squirts around but what is it?
img_831880_2_b03d94aeacad750c80be70f1ce46fe6b.jpg

emerald Crab is the first one it wont hurt a thing just help

And the second one i have no clue.

I don't think it's an emerald (I had 2 emerald crabs in another tank) it's not green it's just shades of grey & it has little hairs all over not allot but just a few and then the white band on the claws with the redish tips.

No. 2 is a flame scallop. Not sure if it is an electric one or not. Only you`ll be able to tell. The crab I`m too sure but I would think from those two big claws that it is not a reef friendly crab. If you have a fuge I would put him in there.

No fuge. That's kina why I wanted to get this guy's Id as soon as possible.
I have one of the old tetra breeder box things that I drilled full of holes. I tossed in a few rocks & stuffed it full of grape algae clippings. I put the crab in that. He's small so it should be ok for a while.

I put the scallop back in the tank ^_^ it scooted right back to where I found it.

I agree, that looks like a non-reef safe crab. Most hairy crabs, with the exception of the mithrax, are not reef friendly.
I also agree the 2nd is a flame scallop. Look inside his mouth and if you see an "electrical" spark, it is an electric flame scallop. These tend to be short lived in our tanks.

I was told once that pointed claws are the ones to stay away from. Not an emerald, I agree.

The scallop won't live long IME. Gotta feed'm twice a day which will foul your water too.

Yeah Having went home and looked at my Emmy i realized i was wrong Im such a newb.

The scallop has been in my tank like 2-3 months it came in some macro algae.I just never bothered to id it. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone when that crab showed up. The scallop is about the size of my thumb nail and has tripled in size from the first time I saw it.

still need an id on da crab
it's claws are rather blunt and it reminds me of a bulldozer. It's pushinmg around rocks 5 x it's size in it's little temp box-house thing that I threw together. It's not inclined to try and pinch so that's good for handling even with a small crab.

yea hopefuly it'll stick around for a while I would love to see it full grown

The crab is not reef safe he will eat polyps , snag fish and also kill shrimp... I found 2 of those in my tank and they are mean ....
crab id pic
The scallop looks like it needs some tlc with some spot feeding ...Cool hitchhiker tho

Back
Top Bottom