Ok need everyones help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So here is the deal I just got a 500 gallon custom built aquarium I dont have anything for it need lots of help like filters, lights,i want to do live plants so I need help with picking out plants and also fish dont know what stock I want so help please

JUST.WOW.OMG......lol

500g??? I woulnt know where to start...How is the stand for it? thatd be my first question, thats ALOT of water!

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

You should get one of the more exotic types of fish that get too large for a smaller tank.

OR... You could fill it with guppies!! Sorry, I have a thing with guppies since I just got some.

Or, you could do a huge Betta sorority!! That would be amazing!

I have to build a stand for it so I'm going to weld a steal stand thank god I have an enclosed room on the back of my house that was built on a slab to hold the weight lol

Oh my god. I have a mental image of thee hundred guppies swimming like a tornado of chaos seeking food. You'd probobly be able to walk along the top of the tank when feeding!

But actually, with five hundred gallons, the question becomes what CAN'T you keep. I mean, other than actual sharks or something and being freshwater that wasn't really an option either. Of course, the realy big guys tend to be a bit dull colored.

Yeah, my guppies are more voracious feeders than my zebra danios. That says a lot. And now they're being a bad influence on them and encouraging them to steal food from the cories. But my cories still get food.

I stand behind my guppy suggestion.

Wow!!! That's awesome, you sure going to have a lot of fun. I would do an Amazon type set up, with Arowanas, pacus, etc. but that's up to you. I would take care of the filter, stand and everything else first and then you can start with the fun part which is stocking

I thought about doing an aggressive tank I'm not sure yet....i wonder if I get breeding pairs if I need to still take the fry out or can I just let them do there own thing

Well, with the space of a five hundred gallon tank, you could go for a real "mini-ecosystem" look, and build yourself somthing with high places and low places. Heck, with internal stands or something you could probobly set up areas that aren't even in the water, though I don't know how practical keeping fish and other animals together (Other than frogs, of course). Heck, I don't think I'd be half as worried about the fish as I would the aquascaping. I love scaping.

Oh, yes. I wonder how much ammonia you'll have to use...

Honestly, with somthing that size, I think I' go for the shrimp method. I hate the idea of amonia in the first place, and have used the feeding an empty tank method instead on my big tank (Can I really call 37 big?), but somthing like this.... I'd definately follow the saltwater logic and go with shrimp. Actually there's a six hundred some odd gallon thread around here somewhere and I think he used three shrimp at a time.

Holy cow!! I am so jealous!! You could do koi?! They are beautiful fish, and I think 500 G is probably enough for them to get real big! As for plants...im curious what your gonna do for lighting?! That's gonna be an interesting set up...what are the dimensions of your tank?

Not gonna lie...real excited to be a part of this thread! This will be intense!

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
keep rcs thousands and thousands of rcs....

Hahaha...you could provide LCS for the entire country with a tank this big!

Lol, or you could have thousands of snails. I love snails personally, my apple snail, Gary, has so much personality that I didn't expect with a snail.

Back
Top Bottom