old goldfish? white on face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiebug

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone! I won my goldfish at the fair about 10 years ago. he's not a comet, his tail is longer and flowy. He was originally a really dull grey but after his first year in a mason jar, he turned gold. Anyways, he has had a lot of tank upgrades, from the plastic quart he came in to the 20 gallon he's in now. he has also had a lot of experiences that would have killed any other fish. Like when i went on vacation for a month and my mom forgot to feed him, when the sucker fish became vicious, or when he had flukes from a new fish. I feel like he needs a bigger tank since he's about 7-8 inches, perhaps more.
So, I've noticed the past couple months that his face and gills are turning white and look dull and like they are lacking in scales. hopefully I can attach a picture. I think it is age but a few other opinions from more experienced folks can't hurt. thanks!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120630_174503.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120630_174503.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 75
  • ForumRunner_20120630_174513.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120630_174513.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 72
  • ForumRunner_20120630_174637.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120630_174637.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 95
Well, I have no idea what the whit is on his face, could be just a change in coloration (I have seen this in other goldies). But I do know that it isn't old age, your average goldfish should live to up to 20 years and get past a foot long. Preferably, these guys should have a pond or very large aquarium (not a bowl as the general public usually thinks). I would recommend a larger aquarium, but he is probably stunted from being in such a small jar, so you might be aable to get away with something like a 50 gallon or something like that. I wish the best of luck to you and your goldfish!!!

Thanks! As long as it isn't a disease or anything... I'm planning on getting him a 50+ tank in the next couple months so hopefully he'll be happier stretching his fins. Do you think he might not be getting enough light?

Usually light isn't a big deal as long as it doesn't have anything to do with live plants. It doesn't look like a disease to me, but I could still be wrong, so still keep an eye on it. How much light is he getting?

just whatever the sun brings in. he doesn't get any direct sunlight though, too far from the windows

I would say it looks like just natural color change. I had a panda moor that ended up turning completely white.

My cell won't load the pics but it sounds like normal color change that comes with age. As long as his behavior is normal, your staying on top of your water changes & it doesn't look fuzzy or cottony, I wouldn't be overly concerned. :)

Back
Top Bottom