Old goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I recently moved my 13 yr old common goldfish to my local fish store, privately owned and friends, I acclimated them to the new water before i took them, I had to take them as i am going to be traveling now alot, anyway for about 2 months before i took the fish it had terrible problems with floating at top of tank after eating, everyday!! The day i took it to the store it was okay the next week, (this week) with swimming perfectly normal, no floating and eating well, However i visited today before i leave and they told me that as of today it swims fine and eats fine but will go to bottom of either side of tank and sit for about 2 minutes, we talked awhile , they did test , water no ammonia, they add salt, but i discussed they might want to take some out and add fresh water, still salt in tank but not 1 tsp per gallon, they are in a twenty gallon high tank, with some water lever lowered, as i mentioned they act fine swimming but the one that had the floating problems is now sitting at bottom at times for a bit , how can they go from floating problems to sitting now?? Keep in mind when he swims and does alot it is perfectly normal, the water they have is also better for the fish as i kept them in water from a softener and hers in hard water.
Please let me know if there are any suggestions or if this is normal behavior for a fish to go from top floating to bottom sitting, but swimming normally and eating??? I watched it eat today and it goes fast to top after he eats and gulps air actually brings head out of tank, the spits out a bubble, only did this a few times then quit
Thank you

They are each about 6-7 inches in body and tails another 2 inches, i dont have them here now so i cant really tell , just guessing from what i have said in the past,

Back
Top Bottom