OMG think I just made big mistake: clown loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there,

I JUST came home from LFS with 2 clown loaches about 2 inches each. I was told they are more mellow than yoyo loaches. I was told they were slow growing, but I had NO IDEA until I just logged on how big they get.

30 inches? I only have a 45 gallon community tank! I was expecting they get to maybe 5 or 6 inches each.

I love the way they look; they seem very playful. Was really happy until I discovered how big they grow.

Should I take them back??

Yes take back. Don't think they grow 30 inches but definitely get over a foot

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi there,

I JUST came home from LFS with 2 clown loaches about 2 inches each. I was told they are more mellow than yoyo loaches. I was told they were slow growing, but I had NO IDEA until I just logged on how big they get.

30 inches? I only have a 45 gallon community tank! I was expecting they get to maybe 5 or 6 inches each.

I love the way they look; they seem very playful. Was really happy until I discovered how big they grow.

Should I take them back??

I would take them back if you can, they are big fish.

I'm sure that the LFS will take them back. Meanwhile, I'm off to go do more research on this.

It's a common mistake. They get pretty big and are one of the few sorta aggressive loaches once they get bigger. I wouldn't put one in under a 90 gal tank because of their size.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Given the footprint of a 45 I'd take them back. However, and this is in no way favoring that you keep them, clown loaches are extremely slow growing. Also, though they have the potential to reach a foot in length, it's basically just that...a potential. I know more people who have had their clown loaches seemingly max out between 6-8 inches, staying that size for years while being provided ample space, than I do people who have clowns over 10 inches.

Since they do have the potential to reach a foot long though, and again with the dimensions of a 45, it'd be best to take them back now while you know they will accept them back.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The owner of this LFS has, in the past, offered to take fish off my hands when/if they get too big. I've never given him the opportunity because I've always stuck with smaller fish besides one bristle nose pleco.

He's been pretty reliable in the past regarding advice, so you can imagine my surprise when I googled clown loach and practically fell off the sofa when I saw how big they get.

Do you think I should phone him and ask him if he'd take the clown loaches back when they get to the 5 inch point or something? I'm feeling disappointed as they are so colourful and playful -they really added interest to the tank. I realistically can't go up to a bigger tank... not in this house.

Or should I just pack them up and take them back?

Grrrr.

They usually prefer groups of five or more to help them feel comfortable and more playful.

I personally would take them back now. It'll allow you tank space to find something else you could keep long term and I'm just generally not a fan of temporarily housing fish until they get too big. It's not uncommon for a pet store that is seemingly doing well to be closed in a month. If that were to happen then you're in rush to either sell them to someone or get a much larger tank.

Clown loaches are funny but with their size, their mess, and their sensitivity to water conditions they aren't something to really mess around with.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I also bought two baby clown loaches...not even 5 months later they are obnoxious and rowdy with the other fish. I just returned one of them for bullying the other, totally shredded his tail.
Now I know who is responsible for killing my panda cory a few weeks back ?

Take them back and avoid the problems...good luck catching thdm though ?

What a disaster. Catching them is going to be really hard. This LFS has been around for years, but I see your point.

I'll call tomorrow - I can't even get there tomorrow to return them. Will need to be on the weekend.

What a hassle. Teaches me to google EVERYTHING I'm told before I buy. I do really like them though.

Look into dwarf chain loaches, sidthumunki. They stay small, do well in groups, and are generally peaceful

Michelle, your 2 clowns are bullying the rest because you need more of them 5 or more! (That's the recommended minimum shoal size)
Make sure they have hiding spaces, this will help them to feel secure.
Clowns will grow if given the right conditions, those that come up short are simply stunted, this is because the tank sizes through growth phase were inadequate.

My clowns are continuing to grow the largest is approx 8"
(It's a really great fish if you have the time and SPACE!)

Ten years later, I'm still not bored of mine, they are great fish.

The easiest way to catch these is to starve them for a few days, then they get tired easily. (This is a tried and tested method, that's how I catch mine)

Loaches.com is the best internet source for er, loaches!

I get that they should be in a group...right now I have the 1 clown loach with the shredded fins and I'm going to let him heal for now and bring him back to lfs when he is well. They are known for being aggressive which is why they are kept often in cichlid tanks but I didn't realize that when I bought them. I asked the lfs who could control my snail outbreak and they handed these cute colorful babies over. Hard to not fall for that...

I get that they should be in a group...right now I have the 1 clown loach with the shredded fins and I'm going to let him heal for now and bring him back to lfs when he is well. They are known for being aggressive which is why they are kept often in cichlid tanks but I didn't realize that when I bought them. I asked the lfs who could control my snail outbreak and they handed these cute colorful babies over. Hard to not fall for that...

They are not really aggressive to each other so much as they are establishing their pecking order which is common among the species.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

They are not really aggressive to each other so much as they are establishing their pecking order which is common among the species.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Exactly, mine have shown very little aggression except towards conspecifics, even that is minimal, I'm the boss and you're not type of thing. It's over very quickly.

They might chase other species at feeding time but only enough to clear the area, they don't hound or bully. Its just a touch.
I certainly wouldn't peg them as aggressive. The various tetras I've kept have shown more aggression. I'd say gibbiceps was more boisterous than the clown loach, and they are considered peaceful fish.
(I had both in one tank for a few years.)

2 fish may appear bullish if they are similar sized, both will be vying for top spot, it's partly why you need good numbers, the more you have the better they behave, that's not including the "violent" behaviour, mine regularly juggle positions within the shoal but it's no more than a click or two and maybe a nudge. (Clown owners know the clicks!)
Occasionally there is slight damage but nothing has been killed. Certainly no cause for concern and no open wounds.

Absolutely lovely fish if properly catered for.
(Includes, shoal size, tank arrangement and tank size)
Build the tank for the clowns, then add things that fit that environment. You will have no problems.

They really are worth the effort.

Just curious...for a shoal of 6 clowns, how big of a tank is considered adequate then?

Whoa! That's a very large tank...don't know a lot of people who have tanks that size. ?

Whoa! That's a very large tank...don't know a lot of people who have tanks that size. ?

Think of them like future Bala Sharks. They get BIG, over a foot.. They need good amounts of room and being loaches need a good footprint. Bala Sharks are not recommended in anything less than a 125 because they are shoaling. Being roughly the same size is say the same for clowns.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom