One Gallon Tank BAD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol who's ganging up on anyone? I think that 70% a week for a tiny tank is inadequate...doesn't matter if it has a ugf. And yes I & people that I work with change our betta bowls way more often than that. It's sometimes hard to keep up but we like to keep our bettas as healthy as possible before they get shipped out.

Frankly I thing Endgame knows what's good for Endgames fish. If the fish is showing vibrant colors, it's happy. If it isn't you've got a problem. 70% a week is more then I'd probably do.

The tank is also cycled, I never see any ammonia or nitrites and the nitrates get up to 20-30 in the course of a week. I just put some leftover bio-spira in it.

In my fish room, I have noticed that bowls with more frequent water changes contained happier, more active fish. These fish were also the ones that never got ill. Because your tank is cycled...it brings water changes down a bit but still 70%? So how about I do what I do & you do what you do? and then youll see that my fish will live longer than yours. lol JK :p

Well..for the poster..
A one gallon space is not really a suitable permanent home for any type of fish. Those physically small enough require company, because they school. The betta is not even as hardy as his cousin the paradise fish... but is often suggested because they "breathe air" and live in "dirty puddles". poor bettas!

These puddles which are drying swamps or ponds are usualy a good foot in depth! Not a street puddle! Few are found in urban areas that are not dumpeed ex-fighters.
Those talking rice paddies? I suggest you see the arial view of this "stagnant puddle" you want to quote.

And even if the myth were so, it would not matter. Todays betta are not hardy wild stock..they are weaker inbred eye-candy. You cannot expect today's fancy betta to withstand harsh treatment it's forebearers could survive, no more than expect your dog to fast more than 30 days in winter because wolves are often FORCED to do so because mother nature. (DOH!)

Click here to See a "little, stagnant, rice paddy" from the air in my betta rant. That is all retail pet hype talking there. Viva la betta revolution! Au secours! Vive la petit matyre'!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=118197#118197

[center:c3def3ee54] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Mikeski! :n00b: [/center:c3def3ee54]
Yes, we really do love our fishies here. I wanted to comment on the 1 inch per gallon. That's a decent rule--but there are a ton of exceptions. First of all, it's one inch (total adult length) per gallon. Secondly, the fish need to be docile. Finally, you hit the nail on the head:
every pet store that i have been in sells betta's in small glass bowls that they can barely swin in which they beleive is fine for their health.
LFS are there to make money. Those employees of that store would not be happy in a 10' by 10' room--heck they can turn around and summersault if they wanted to in that space!!
It is up to you, the responsible fish owner to decide what is fact and what is garbage. The best thing is research and finding a community of people that are devoted to their finned friends :wink:

In all my years of living in Japan and the year I spent in Korea (in the field 9 months out of the year driving through the country side and hiking) I have never ever seen any rice paddies even 1/10 of what is displayed in that image. This is a case of people exaggerating in the opposite extreme of the common exaggeration of betas living in puddles.

The ones I have seen, walked through, and helped pull a humvee out of were fairly large bodies of water compared to an aquarium but hardly even 1 foot deep and quite muddy/murky. I would guess a wild beta which can survive in the fertilizer saturated water would be quite hardy indeed....I could barely survive being within 200 feet of a rice paddy (dependant on the type of fertilizer used).

Back
Top Bottom