One Month In

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You do not want a circular flow in the tank. You want the power heads pointing at each other or across each other (X patthern) or at the front middle glass to create a chaotic water flow (not a singular direction, but from many directions).

Plastic plants will need to be removed and cleaned of algae often, as will that plastic structure. You would be better off with more rock. Base rock will do for now as it will become LR in no time at all.

I have a question. I was just wandering around the site and noticed a guy had just recently set up a micro system he bought in a box...a kit with everything, and it appeared to include even polyps and corals. Within a month, he's got about 4 fish, a loaded LR tank, inverts galore. If I'm reading the advice right from my book, I can have about 1 inch of fish per 4 gallons of tank. So I'm limited to maybe two fish in my tank! How is it that the guy with the bio-cube of 14 gallons has an entire zoo of fish, and I can only have two? And how did his cycle so quickly? It looks in less than a month, he's already done and flourishing? I'm confused.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/new-oceanic-biocube-14gallon-100459.html

Don't be confused... just two different people going at it two different ways. I don't think that only after a month or two of a tank being up and running, anyone can say anything is "flourishing". It takes a while for things to go south. But when it does start, it can go in a hurry. However...

Looking at that post and reading between the lines, it sounds like the person started out with cured live rock. (Either that, or it was really expensive rock!) Starting out with enough precured rock can avoid a cycle because you have a lot of bacteria coming in with the rock to start with. In addition, they were doing a couple water changes a week. Those two things probably helped tremendously.

That's different from your scenario because you started out with minimal (if any?) live rock, and started your cycle with a damsel. So you had to keep doing water changes during the cycle to keep the ammonia/nitrite levels down to a bearable level for the fish. That prolongs things. Doing a fishless cycle allows you to just let the ammonia/nitrite do it's own thing and go as high as it wants, more or less.

Would I personally recommend to folks to start up a tank like that? No... but that's just me. I'm a slow, methodical type and while I'm not the most patient person in the world, I am with my tank because I just don't want to risk screwing it up. But you're right... that's a lot of fish in a 14g, and adding that many corals that quick before the water parameters have stabilized for a few months runs the risk that they might die if the water parameters start becoming an issue. But there's very few "right" answers in this hobby - just a lot of different ways to get there.

Thanks for clarifying Kurt. I'm so lost in this new hobby that I get frustrated by all my own questions. It's good to know you guys are here with the patience to guide me through. It's meant a lot. I was looking at some clowns and gobies today. I have to confess, the waiting here is the hardest thing about this whole process.
I want desperately to start my livestock experience :)

I remember your frustation. When I was cycling my 125 I was getting desperate to add some life to it. I was instructed by the originators of this site to get a rubbie duckie if I had to have something in my tank before the cycle was complete :silly:

After a while I did start noticing some life in the tank on the LR. It's amazing what can survive the cycle, come back and flourish.

Patience my friend!

LOL! Waiting and waiting!
I tested this morning, and my Ammonia went up a bit, but my nitrites are now 0.0, and my nitrates are 2.5. I am going to do the 10% PWC I was usppose to do yesterday, tonight. I hope to have a fish swimming around in there in a about a week or two :)

Ammonia no nitrItes and nitrAtes? Have you tested your source water for ammonia?

Yeah, I was perplexed myself. I'm glad you caught that! I had almost zero ammonia for weeks and now I have a 0.50 again! No idea what has happened. I added LR and plastic plants. No idea what is casuing the ammonia.

Yeah, I was perplexed myself. I'm glad you caught that! I had almost zero ammonia for weeks and now I have a 0.50 again! No idea what has happened. I added LR and plastic plants. No idea what is casuing the ammonia.

You added rock that wasn't cured fully. Expect to see a little spike each time you add rock that isn't fully cured. That's why folks suggest adding all the rock you want in one shot. Otherwise it just prolongs the cycle.

Thanks Kurt. The LFS guy swore it was "cured" rock....maybe it was semantics and I should've asked if it was "fully cured" LOL I'm not too upset. The ammonia didn't spike out of control, and the nitrIte and nitrAte is are both good to go. Just waiting on the ammonia to die down.

How long was the LR out of water before you added it to the tank. There could be some minimal die off that caused the mini-spike. Once you have a large enough colony of nitrifying bacteria built up it won't be a problem.

The LR went from the LFS to my tank in 30 minutes, so I think it was okay. I'm not too concerned about it (should I be?). I suspect it will settle down in about a week from the time I dropped it in.
I did a 10% PWC last night using distilled water, instead of tap. :) See?, I'm learning. When I do a 25% change, I'll go to my LFS, who sells 5 gallon buckets of mature marine water at $6.99. Worth every penny in my mind.

I would look into pre-mixing your own water. I have two tanks and have a 32G bucket (with wheels) a ph and heater, that I run all the time. It is a good idea to pre mix your water, so you can get the same or close to your tanks parameters, namely: salinity, temp and pH.

+++EDIT+++
Plus you won't have to lug that water all the time and will have extra, just in case.

Last edited:
One of the things I failed to look into when I first started was the size of my place, Roka. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment with limited space. I have 5 and 2-gallon buckets for 25% and 10% PWC respectively, but I am so limited in space, that keeping a 5 gallon bucket of mixed water in my place is just not reasonable space-wise. I keep the buckets with lids stashed in my car trunk.
I know, this is no hobby for the short of cash, but I do have to think frugally and I think it can be done on a budget. Why should the fiscally powerful be the only ones to enjoy this hobby? :)
Your advice is always appreciated, not to mention spot on, but I really am limited in a couple of ways in my tiny apartment. I think the water from the LFS will have to be my option for now.
Incidentally, I inted to move next January! So keep an eye open for my posts about how to move a working aquarium!!!

I took another sample today and my ammonia is 0.25, so it's back to where it's been for weeks. I did a 10% PWC and it looks like that may have helped.
Have you guys ever heard of a Mantis Shrimp? I just read a thread about one and I am wondering why I bought LR now! LOL

Do you think you have a mantis in your LR?
They do sometimes arrive as hitchhikers, but not that often. They are best removed from the tank and placed in a species tank or traded to the lfs for store credit.

No, I don't believe so. I am going to move ahead and invest in my Clownfish and hope it isn't going to get eaten by a mantis. I jsut read a thread about one in a guy's tank and it sounds likehte most frithening creature ever!

Do a search on this site for mantis and you will find some interesting threads.

How often are you buying 5 gallons pails from the lfs? You can store a RODI unit under the sink and make your own mix when needed. Keep a bucket of salt mix in the trunk and use it as needed. Has to be cheaper in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom