One year tank anniversary - need advice on supply order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlinsey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After one year of fishkeeping in our Eclipse 6-gallon, we have five fish...a silver tipped tetra, and four marble mollies. I'm going to place an order online (probably BigAls) because I need filter inserts and dechlorinator.

We have been using Stress Coat which was recommended by LFS...should I just get more of that or switch to a different one?
We have been using the original biowheel all along. Should it be replaced, or should I get a spare one just to have on hand?
We have been feeding them TetraMin Tropical Flakes...nothing else. Would it be good to get other foods for variety?

TIA

NO, no, yes.

What are you using the stress coat for?

Never change a biowheel unless it is broken. They do not get used up, they are homes for bacteria to grow. I've rinsed mine when they were covered n Algae, but never change them.

My boss swears that when he feeds flakes, he has fish die, wen he feeds frozen blood worms, they thrive. I still feed a mix of flake, freeze dried bloodworms, tubifex worms, algae wafers and vegetables like zucchini and peas.

HTH

Fish definitely like a variety of foods, and I think it also makes things more interesting for fish owners. Otherwise it becomes a routine and it's not like you are really caring for the fish.

I'd switch to Prime. Its cheaper and concentrated so a small bottle goes a LONG way.

Don't replace the biowheel. You could have a spare one on hand, but don't replace it unless it is damaged.

Variety is good so I'd mix it up a bit.

Thanks everyone.
I've completed my order with Prime, a spare bio-wheel and a few new types of food.
Our fish will have a happy new year!

Back
Top Bottom