Ongoing 36g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeeLee2013

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since my 36g Endler's Livebearer tank has become planted (thanks to inspiration from several awesome AA members), I thought I would now transition into the Planted section to chronicle my ongoing plant journey!
Firstly, had a near-death experience with my CO2 and my fish. The regulator busted and dumped almost all of my CO2 into the tank while I slept. Didn't lose any fish, and got the problem remedied, but now I must fix my 5# CO2 system quickly before the plants start melting away.
Next up: getting low on Seachem macros and micros, so I'll be mixing my own ferts from the GLA dry ingredients soon.
Finally, a reference picture of just where my tank is now.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425522343.557048.jpg

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
Florida Orchid Endler's | Documented Class N Orchid Endler's Livebearer Fish

Nice setup, those rounded tanks look nice ?

Check out my introduction to view my tank!

Sweet! That moss on the DW looks nice. You've got a lot of room to work with in there. It can use some reds.
You could order a gallon of Metricide 14 as a carbon source until you get the new regulator sorted out. Or use both.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love how you found a piece of wood that matches the background. Looks great.

Whoa what happened with your regulator? That's scary as I think we have the same type, Aquatek premium?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nice setup, those rounded tanks look nice ?

Check out my introduction to view my tank!

Thank you!

Sweet! That moss on the DW looks nice. You've got a lot of room to work with in there. It can use some reds.
You could order a gallon of Metricide 14 as a carbon source until you get the new regulator sorted out. Or use both.

Thanks, and I'm working on the reds!
I have a gallon of M14, just using up my Seachem Excel before I crack it open.
Any suggestions about dosing since the glut strength is a bit different?

I love how you found a piece of wood that matches the background. Looks great.

Thank you! Got it from Manzanita-Driftwood.com; very pleased the service and selection.

Whoa what happened with your regulator? That's scary as I think we have the same type, Aquatek premium?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, Aquatek Premium. Might have been a fluke. Not sure of the semantics, but the cylinder gauge busted which led to uncontrolled outpouring of CO2 through the lines to the HOB intake. The needle valve and the working pressure gauge still registered changes, but I'm returning the whole shebang for a refund. Aquatek customer service was useless; but they at least said it was a manufacturer defect, not that it was my fault. Hence the refund.
Got my CO2 tank refilled and a new regulator coming in tomorrow. It's an UP Aqua dual gauge, and hopefully it'll hold me over until I can spring for the GLA Pro.
I had some AR pink but it has all melted away. My AR mini is still kicking even with the glut-only dosing. Hopefully once the CO2 gets hooked back up things will take off again.
My Limno sessiliflora is growing like crazy. The Pogo erectus bottom leaves are melting, but new bright green tops are plentiful. My Bacopa monnieri is healthy, but seems to have stalled out a bit. The spiky moss is new, but I love the texture it has on the DW. Blyxa is staying very compact; a few new bunches have sprouted and the striping is still pretty evident. I even got a few teeny weensy pieces of DHG, and it hasn't melted away yet!!
Would appreciate any and all feedback, of course ☺️

? Diana Lee ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

What I do for the glut is dilute it 1:1 with DI water and put it on the old Excel bottle. At that dilution, I think the dosing rate is 1 ml per 2 gallons. Might be more. In the old Excel bottle it is protected from light and I'm not handling the 1 gallon jug on a day to day basis.
Glad you got a refund for the Aquatek regulator.

Gah! I am so sick of shipping delays due to "winter"! What is this "winter" everyone speaks of?!
It was 85*F here yesterday!
Rant over. Seriously hope all the folks in the ice and snow are safe. Just dealing with Floridian Problems... Hopefully my replacement regulator will show up sometime soon.

? Diana Lee ?

So, noticing a bit of a melt of my S repens since the CO2 quit on me.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425772310.539391.jpg
My AR mini is hanging in there. I'm dosing glut to keep at least some semblance of CO2 in the tank.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425772379.645500.jpg
The Limno is still growing like crazy!! Probably be due for a trim and replant soon.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425772428.305284.jpg
I just hope my replacement regulator comes in sooner than later. I'm anxious to get it all hooked up and get these plants back on track.
For all of the stem plants: how close can they be planted together?

? Diana Lee ?

Hope it get there soon. My star repens have 3 " roots on them already but the Ludwigia repens are melting like crazy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The AR mini looks great. The stars condition may not be due to the lack of CO2. It might be the water. Another aa member near Tampa has a (challenging) history with them. But the root cause maybe the water softener, salt, and or chlorine.

The AR mini looks great. The stars condition may not be due to the lack of CO2. It might be the water. Another aa member near Tampa has a (challenging) history with them. But the root cause maybe the water softener, salt, and or chlorine.

Our water here on the east coast of FL is extremely hard at 24dGH and 7dKH. We don't have water softener, and no chlorine even right out of the tap. Could be salt...
Is there anything I can do? I use Prime on the tap. I'm going to start using distilled water during my PWCs to bring the hardness down.
Advice is always appreciated!

? Diana Lee ?

Not sure about the melt. Brookster could tell you about it. Multiple melting for him (unknown causes) but he now has a fabulous crop growing.

Well, I took the plunge and ordered the GLA Pro Regulator. Figured with it being expandable and having a 6-year warranty, it would be worth it. Still going to test drive the UP Aqua that's on the way, but I have a feeling the GLA will win out!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425783683.139193.jpg
Pictures will be displayed when it arrives, of course!

? Diana Lee ?

Looks awesome

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice growth.
No tinkering unless you mean adjusting the BPS.
One thing to note is making sure that the tank has been flushed of sediment prior to connecting to the regulator. Also, I believe the regulator working pressure valve/knob should be closed while the tank is being connected and while the tank valve is opened up. To prevent damage to the regulator from what I understand. The instructions should point this out.

Back
Top Bottom