Ongoing 36g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Need some help!
I remember reading that my macros N & K should be 10x my P. Example: 20-30ppm of N & K and 2-3ppm P.
Firstly: is that correct?
Secondly: I have a P liquid test from API. My phosphates are high out of the tap (4-5ppm). So, I don't dose that on my macro days since there's quite a bit to begin with. How can I get this concentration down?
Thirdly: how the heck do I test for N & K? Is there a test out there I'm just not seeing?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Test for nitrates;) in a stocked tank you really shouldn't need to dose at all. Phosphates should ideally be in the 3-5ppm range so you're set in that regard. I triple dose potassium, never test for it, i feel ok doing this as the plants love it and the fish don't seem to mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Test for nitrates;) in a stocked tank you really shouldn't need to dose at all. Phosphates should ideally be in the 3-5ppm range so you're set in that regard. I triple dose potassium, never test for it, i feel ok doing this as the plants love it and the fish don't seem to mind.

Nitrates. Yeah, definitely overlooked that. Thank you for the reminder!!!

? Diana Lee ?

So, P is thus - gonna safely say it is 5ppm:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426429717.524355.jpg
Nitrates (a half-hour after dosing macros) is here. Can't tell is 40ppm or 80ppm ?:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426429799.317025.jpg
And pH is sitting about 7.4:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426429841.259324.jpg

I would imagine that since I just dosed N about a half-hour ago, that the nitrate reading might be a bit higher until this afternoon when the plants are active. The colors are so close, it's hard to tell which it is.

? Diana Lee ?

Yes, phosphate is 5 ppm. Nitrate is either 40 or 80. Yep, stop dosing nitrate and see what levels you get without it. I think I dose nitrate 2-3x a week at best (I'm using PPS-Pro).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The plants are enjoying it, at any rate! Growing like gorgeous, manicured weeds, lol. Lobbed off some tops and replanted them, and very happy that all are doing well.
My GLA Pro Regulator is trapped at my local post office. They tried to deliver but needed my signature. Alas, I was working. So, first thing tomorrow I shall retrieve my package from the USPS. Thinking of doing an "opening video" so everyone can live vicariously through me ? I have tomorrow, Thursday and Friday off, so there's plenty of time to tinker wth the new toy!
Meeting up with a fellow AA member this afternoon to hand off some Endlers, plants and RCS.

? Diana Lee ?

New toys!?!? That pump co2 into fish tanks?!?!? A drone to fly food from tank to tank while I'm sitting on the couch?!?!?

So, my Green Leaf Aquarium Pro-1 CO2 Regulator finally made it! To commemorate this momentous occasion, here's a video of it!

(It was still processing on YouTube when I posted this reply, so just a heads up!) :popcorn:

http://youtu.be/K5mCKtFQLxs

I will also upload the file into the next reply line... might take a little while

I liked it. Very clear instructions and you did not sound like a drunk sailor. ? Very engaging; I felt like I was in the room. "We have bubbles!" Blur on the scene transitions was a nice touch.
Since you have two bubble counters, which one do you base your BPS on? Or do you take an average of each? I would let the drop checker(s) be your guide. I am using a cheaper diffuser and it does not produce a fine mist. Small but not a mist. I'm running 4-5 bps on a smaller tank which may be demonstrating the efficiency (or lack thereof) of the diffuser.
Next time, try landscape mode instead of portrait mode. My last video was in portrait mode and I found it does not fill the screen as well (especially when viewing on a mobile device).
Keep'er coming.

Did I see brookster say something about twerking a few pages ago?! Congrats on the new equipment Dee!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I liked it. Very clear instructions and you did not sound like a drunk sailor. ? Very engaging; I felt like I was in the room. "We have bubbles!" Blur on the scene transitions was a nice touch.
Since you have two bubble counters, which one do you base your BPS on? Or do you take an average of each? I would let the drop checker(s) be your guide. I am using a cheaper diffuser and it does not produce a fine mist. Small but not a mist. I'm running 4-5 bps on a smaller tank which may be demonstrating the efficiency (or lack thereof) of the diffuser.
Next time, try landscape mode instead of portrait mode. My last video was in portrait mode and I found it does not fill the screen as well (especially when viewing on a mobile device).
Keep'er coming.

Thank you for viewing! And for the advice. After I got done with it all, I realized I had been in portrait ?. If (when) I do another video, that will be a change you can count on!
I think I'll end up using the bubble counter on the side of the tank more often so I'm not crouching down and peering into the darkness. They both run at the same bps once the lines are pressurized! I'm amazed at how smooth the needle valve on this model is. It turns like it sits in butter, for lack of a better description. Glides without being too persnickety.
The CAL dc started to show some color change within an hour on the far side of the tank. The dissolution seems to be fantastic even with only 2bps. The working pressure has to be above 35psi for the atomic diffuser to work properly, but I love it thus far.
Glad you were engaged! I would hate to be boring. Might have to change my hair color if that happened! ?

Did I see brookster say something about twerking a few pages ago?! Congrats on the new equipment Dee!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol, now THAT would be video worthy!! I vote to see that sooner rather than later, too; always fun to have a diversion.
Thank you, also! Loving the new regulator. I've always been a gear head, so this made me drool a bit when I opened it...

? Diana Lee ?

Oh my god that regulator is beautiful, I just came.

...to the realization that I need one.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom