Only top half of guppy's tail is colored?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I work at Petsmart, and almost 3 weeks ago one of my coworkers did a deep clean of our filter reservoirs in back of all the tanks, only to find several fish living back there. They were all livebearers and probably got either syphoned up or just sucked into the tubes as fry, and then grew up in almost darkness with rotting fish flakes to eat. How depressing.

Anyway, there was one beautiful male swordtail that I got to keep, red and orange with a black tail and fins. Every other fish, a mix of guppies, platys, and mollies, was completely colorless. I took home the four guppies as well, and they have since started to develop color...however, all but one of them are only getting color on the top half of their tails.

Any ideas about the coloration or if it will spread to the bottom and the body? None of them have a visible gonopodium, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of one or two of them being males. I'm sort of viewing them as fry that haven't finished developing yet, even though they're all nearly an inch long.

Back
Top Bottom