opaline gourami: newbie "oops"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khrisNkyersten

Aquarium Advice Regular
So without my boyfriend's "okay" (he knows more about fish than I do), I bought a female opaline gourami at Petsmart without researching about them first.

After having her a week, I've learned she'll be about 6 inches (according to the internet). She is about 2.5 inches now.

So my problem is....right now she is in my 15 gallon long community tank. She is with tetras and cory cats and is perfectly fine with them and even seems to enjoy the company of the cory cats.

I have a feeling this will become too small for her. What tank requirements will she need? And what kind of tankmates could she have when she matures?

Thanks for the help! Don't want my little "Priscilla" to get too crowded or not happy.

Attachments

• 100_2043.jpg
    100_2043.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 91
I'm thinking when I move her to her own tank (whatever size is needed) I'd either add another gourami or just some cory cats since she loves those so much (it's kind of funny watching her following them around, cleaning, like she is one of them). what do y'all think? i don't know if gouramis need more than one of their kind like the others.

I would think a 40 gallon tank would work. Gouramis don't need more of their own kind. But if you get a male, he may get aggressive when they are breeding. Any other peaceful fish that are too large for her to eat should be good tank mates. Good luck!

Okay well maybe I'll skip getting a second one and just give her some cory cat friends? How many cory cats could I have in a 40 gallon tank with just her?

You could have a lot. And some other kinds of fish too. Some smaller rainbow fish would be cool. Lots of options with a 40 gal. Bristlenose plecos, live bearers, other kinds of gouramis, loaches.

Back
Top Bottom