Open bottom (Upside down) Aquarium Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I called glass cages. A local aquarium builder about 15 minutes from me and for 10 pieces of cut 1/4" glass cut the sizes I want for $40 and aquarium silicone $6 or do you think I should just buy glass and a cutter from lowes

Ok I called glass cages. A local aquarium builder about 15 minutes from me and for 10 pieces of cut 1/4" glass cut the sizes I want for $40 and aquarium silicone $6 or do you think I should just buy glass and a cutter from lowes

How many gallons are you expecting and the glass cutters can be a pain if you have never used one before at least for me it was.

If you know how to cut glass properly (really simple by the way) it would be cheaper to cut it yourself. Just be really careful not to cut yourself, and sand down the edges once cut.

Added some kind of amazon sword. Don't mind my reflection in the glass. Will be installing DIY filter tomorrow plus heater and adding the stone cats.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 152
Ok so I'm figuring up my measurements. How far below the water line do I want the top tanks open part to be. Also the fish will swim around in both right. How much of a lip do I want on the bottom tank to keep the betta from jumping out?

Bettas will normally only try to jump when the water level is very low. So far mine hasn't had any will to jump out. But I suppose that depends.

Well the bottom tank is only going to be 5 or 6 inches high. I really don't want to lose a $20 betta every time they decide to jump ship

I was thinking for the bottom tank 8x12 x 6 inches high with a water level of 5 inches deep. Top tank maybe 8x8x 12 inches high with the lip being 1 inch below the water level

Although my wife likes yours I may use your measurements. you only have one side of the top tank open right? what was the measurement on that piece of glass?

I was thinking for the bottom tank 8x12 x 6 inches high with a water level of 5 inches deep. Top tank maybe 8x8x 12 inches high with the lip being 1 inch below the water level
Remember to consider the depth of the substrate will influence the water level.

Back
Top Bottom