open wound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirkland795

Aquarium Advice Regular
My leopard danio has an open wound at the base of his tail and it appears part of the tail is missing as well. I can see open flesh with bones sticking out. All water parameters are good and all of my other fish are doing great. The danio itself is otherwise good(swimming around normal and eating) I'm thinking it must have gotten caught on the driftwood or something. I do biweekly water changes of 50% and keep it very clean. No recent additions have been made to the tank.
I couldn't get a super good pictures since danios are so quick and it seemed like every fish in my tank wanted to make a camera debut lol

Change your water changes to 25% every 3rd day, with open wounds you can't be too sure. You just need to keep the water super clean, or else the fish might get an infection, but other than that there's nothing much you can do. I'm not sure that driftwood could do that, so what is the rest of your stock? Other than that, just leave him be.

Nils

I have a blood parrot(4in), 3 half dollar size angels, 2 mollies, 3 ghost catfish, 3 guppies, and 3 snails. All have been in the tank for a while now so I'm not thinking a parasite would have caused the wound. I guess one of the cichlids could have gotten aggressive but they never mind the little fish that dart around. The danios are the fastest of all my fish. I did add some seachem stress guard. It said it binds to open wounds and promotes healing/slime coat.

Just because fish are fast, it doesn't mean they are safe. Regardless of speed, if an aggressive fish is with them it's just a matter of time.

That being said, it's likely an ulcer. Do you have any pics? How are the nitrates in the tank?

I tried to upload a picture but it wasn't working. Ill try again. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5. If the little community fish are in danger as the aggressive ones mature then I may set up a separate tank for them. I use to keep danios with discus no problem so I thought it would be ok. uploadfromtaptalk1424657616888.jpg

Back
Top Bottom