Opinions on change idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
So as some know I have a 29g planted tank, the substrate I am using is the black tahitian moon sand. I have been thinking about redoing the substrate. I want to remove the sand, place like a plant soil down then cover it with the sand. I have an idea about how to do this, but just wondering which soil I should be looking at. I saw a video of someone using the Miracle Grow brand, any objections to this?

I prefer the mineralized soil method, since the potting soil method takes about a month or so to mineralize on its own, plus it's known for horrendous algae blooms in this time period as well as stinky bubbles. After that month or so it seems to work fine though.

I prefer the mineralized soil method, since the potting soil method takes about a month or so to mineralize on its own, plus it's known for horrendous algae blooms in this time period as well as stinky bubbles. After that month or so it seems to work fine though.

Ahh ok, didn't know that.. How is the soil working out with your plants? can you see a difference?

soil type substrates are the best for planted tanks, they are just not very user friendly. Mineralized soil takes some work to put together, it's not like just grabbing a bag of ecocomplete and dumping it in. Also, if the soil isn't capped it will cloud the water anytime it's disturbed.

I like mineralized soil better than the miracle gro potting soil thing because the mineralized soil recipe adds a few extra things like dolomite, potash, and clay, to help make sure the plants have all they need.

Overall though it's hard to beat, especially cost wise, I have several different planted tank substrates and soil is one of my favorites.

soil type substrates are the best for planted tanks, they are just not very user friendly. Mineralized soil takes some work to put together, it's not like just grabbing a bag of ecocomplete and dumping it in. Also, if the soil isn't capped it will cloud the water anytime it's disturbed.

I like mineralized soil better than the miracle gro potting soil thing because the mineralized soil recipe adds a few extra things like dolomite, potash, and clay, to help make sure the plants have all they need.

Overall though it's hard to beat, especially cost wise, I have several different planted tank substrates and soil is one of my favorites.

I couldn't imagine it being harder than what I have done in the past lol.. I am looking for some options, which brand did you use?

Back
Top Bottom